Chance my son (Rising Senior) to CalTech/Stanford/UCs/Cal Poly SLO [CS or ME] [attending UCB as EECS major]

That’s GPT-10

One of my favorite election-related accounts on Twitter is a fellow who did CS at Cal. He’s brilliant! https://twitter.com/lxeagle17?s=21&t=eje0PzFrBpvx8Q9fgJP8aw

1 Like

Are you Sarah Connor?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe not funny! :flushed:

Question on 529: I paid the Cal deposit from my bank account, and can I just transfer money from 529 to my bank account?

Is it Ok to keep track of withdrawals or anything else is needed?

The short answer is yes, if you keep track and save the receipts. But the cleaner way to do this in the future would be to pay the school directly from your 529 account.

1 Like

Cal charges $10 per payment from a 529 plan. I don’t want to pay this unnecessary amount.

I can’t speak to all 529 providers, but I was able to find a mechanism at mine that allows us to send the money from them directly to Cal for free. You can specify the Student ID (available in the CalCentral portal) in the appropriate box (bottom of screenshot). This has worked for me so far, but, as always, check everything yourself.

Also, it takes a little while for the check to get cut and mailed, so I’d recommend getting payments issued on the early side.

I pay for everything. The 529 plans …both…then ACH to my bank account, just like a paycheck.

I haven’t linked my 529 to a school. Similarly in my HSA, I don’t use a debit card nor do I have it pay the Dr. I pay. Get reimbursed.

Easier to have it pay you so you don’t link the school, Apartments, bookstores, etc.

1 Like

It requires 5 upper division courses (though some may have additional prerequisites), which are typically about 20 units: Requirements – Politics, Philosophy & Law Minor

EECS major requirements include:

• ~28 units of 4 math + 3 science courses (AP credit possible for up to 4 courses: Math 1A, 1B; Physics 7A; Chemistry 1A/1AL)
  • 20 units of 5 lower division EE and CS courses
  • 20 units (typically 5 courses) of upper division EE and/or CS courses
  • 4 units (typically 1 course) of technical electives
  • 1-4 units of ethics requirement course (larger courses overlap with humanities and social studies)
  • ~8 units of 2 reading and composition courses (AP credit possible for 1 course)
  • ~16 units of 4 additional humanities and social studies courses (at least 2 of the courses must be upper division; AP credit possible for 1 lower division course; can also overlap with PPL minor courses)

That looks like 80-84 units of courses that cannot overlap with the PPL minor. Adding 20 units of PPL minor courses brings it up to 100-104 units, but that still leave 16-20 units of free electives out of 120 units. So EECS major + PPL minor still leaves additional schedule space for any additional courses of the student’s choosing (or prerequisites to PPL courses that have prerequisites). Fulfilling some lower level courses with AP credit can free additional schedule space.

1 Like

Last update: Son got all his AP Scores today. Ap Lit - 5, Stat - 4, Ap Calc AB - 4.

He will be able to take Math 1B directly and will get his chance to pick his schedule on 13th and we will be dropping him of on Aug 16th (Unit 1).

While his brother (S 24) is a senior this year, I will not be creating any thread for him (wants to be in CA only, is in Engineering academy, no SATs), I will follow few individual threads for S24.

Thanks to all the wonderful people who joined this discussion and gave valuable advice/suggestions.

7 Likes

Congrats. Good luck for your son’s journey at Cal!

1 Like

Congrats - but create the thread.

We’ve been light on chance mes :slight_smile:

Good luck to your son - great journey for him and you (and everyone here) it’s been.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.