Chance of Getting in.

<p>I'm a rising senior from Prince William County.
GPA: 3.3-uw
3.4-w</p>

<p>Class Rank: Top 15% out of around 700 students.</p>

<p>SAT: 750-m
650-r
560-w</p>

<p>AP Classes:
Sophomore-European History
Junior-Calculus AB, American History
Senior- Physics B, Spanish V, Calculus BC, Government</p>

<p>ECs:
Model United Nations
Music
Young Republicans</p>

<p>I know that my GPA is low, but I want to know if my SAT score would balance that. Also I'm 1st generation hispanic (Cuban/Peruvian).</p>

<p>Rick9087,Suggest you do whatever you can to bring that GPA up. VT tends to be very numbers driven. Son , instate, with 1360(M and CR), excellent EC’s , 6 AP’s but 3.55 weighted GPA was waitlisted. They seem to want to see both good SAT AND good GPA. Son did get off the waitlist and is now a freshman . Waitlists are no fun so try to do whatever you can to make sure your application looks great all the way around, including a higher GPA.Can’t speak for whether or not the Hispanic issue would help you.</p>

<p>Did your son apply into general engineering or any of the restricted majors, because if I can’t bring up my GPA by the end of 1st semester I’m going to mark University Studies (undecided) on my application.</p>

<p>Engineering . Probably should have applied to university studes. Over 700 on math SAT and 5 on AP physics but not enough to get him admitted to engineering. Being waitlisted did prompt him to improve his grades so in some ways may have been good(had all A’s and one B with 3 AP’s last semester of high school-raised GPA to over 3.7 but that sememster didn’t really count during the admissions cycle). He could have been getting those kinds of grades all along so the waitlist was kind of a wakeup call.</p>

<p>You may want to let your teachers know you are very anxious to get good grades this semester to improve your chances for college. Offer to do things that could get you extra credit,etc. If you are sincere about wanting to do well, most teachers should be supportive and willing to help. Just do your best this semester. Good luck to you!</p>

<p>I’d say you have at least a fighting chance. Having a strong GPA is important, but in my experience VT tends to value SAT scores more highly than GPA (unlike JMU, for example). Personally, I only had a 3.07 and I was accepted into the school without being waitlisted. However, I had a full IB diploma in all higher-level courses, got a 2180 on SAT’s, and held leadership positions in a ton of organizations. So I definitely had to work hard to make up for the grades.</p>

<p>Just take heart that they will at least CONSIDER ignoring a low GPA, unlike some schools that screen out those below a certain benchmark automatically.</p>