Chance of getting into TAMU?

I am a junior in high school (at the very beginning of the school year right now) and I have a 4.45 cumalitive gpa - the highest possible at my school is a 4.7. While my gpa is decent I guess, it doesn’t put me in the top ten percent which would get me automatic acceptance into tamu. My SAT score is an 1100 but that was over the summer but I am just starting to take algebra 2 this year which I imagine will help my score a little. I am involved in extracurriculars + volunteer work (such as NHS) and I made all state in music. Any way what are my chances? Because my parents seem a little skeptical and I want to hear what others say. Please be honest, I can handle the truth.

Right now 13% (2,800 applicant) That is the number of review admits who received an offer of full admission last year. You need to make the top 10% or be an academic admit which is top 25% and SAT of 1320 (? I think) or 25% and ACT 30 (with subscores of 28 for Math & English). Your parents are right to be skeptical. Sorry, you said be honest.

My DD2018 is sitting at class rank of 14%, 4.81 wgpa, and a 27 gpa good ECs likevarsity co-captain, NHS, Latin club and 9 AP classes (so far 4 (4), 1 (3)). I am not betting on her getting an offer.

You do have a shot at Blinnteam. Work on your SAT/ACT score you still have time.

My daughter went from 1140 on her PSAT to 1370 on her SAT. She took a prep class and did a lot of studying. She also took Algebra II last year, and that May SAT was her high score, so the math class helped too. It’s a lot of work, but really worth it if you don’t want to worry about review admission.

Does your school have Naviance, so you can compare your stats to others who have been admitted?

They don’t show class rank on naviance because our school is so competitive

Yeah, I hear you - at my daughter’s school, you have to have a 107 to be in the top 10%.

Class rank isn’t what you should look for. Find the scattergrams. Log in, then search for A&M and go to the page. Then click on the “Admissions” tab. At least with my daughter’s school, it shows the average GPA and SAT or ACT score for the students from her school who applied. Don’t get discouraged if there are kids who have better stats who were denied. Look at the trend - are the results around you more red or more green?

Also, try taking the ACT. Some people do better on the ACT, some better on the SAT.

score is 1360 new SAT( 1300 old SAT) for this year’s incoming applicants for academic admits. The numbers posted in college rankings are for all types of admissions NOT just for College Station, full admissions. Here’s some past numbers, of course once you add in all types of admissions those numbers water down quickly. Keep in mind everyone who has an alternate admission is a review applicant, lower than 25% and/or acad. admit minimums. Auto admits are top 10% TX and academic admits.

For the TAMU grad class of 2018:

Total Applications apply fall 2013: 35,667
Full Admission to College Station Campus: 17076 (48%)
Auto Admits: 14276 (84%)
Review: 2800 (16%)
% of Review applicants admitted: 13%

For the TAMU grad class of 2021:

Total Applications apply fall 2016: 42,000
Full Admission to College Station Campus: 19800 (47%)
Auto Admits: 16000 (81%)
Review: 3800 (19%)
% of Review applicants admitted: 14%

If you meet the top 25% rank, you should try your very best to meet the score minimums & change your acceptance to the university to the 100% Auto category instead of the 13-14% review — that is a HUGE reward. Help yourself increase your scores, take a review course online ( Khan academy is free) or use a review book, or take a classroom review course. You can continue to take the SAT/ACT & submit it even after you apply until the Dec 1 deadline.

Sticking with your current score: 1100, 1st quarter rank ( I assume), good EC, without anything amazing that would swing your admission - I think it would be highly unlikely for full admission, but decent chance for BT. The difference between 1100 and 1360 is 53rd% vs.89th percentile. I would put A&M in the reach category with your current status. You are now in the driver’s seat - if you want to increase your chances, begin the process now. Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile: