Chance of Mays if not auto admit

My D20 is Top 11% (literally 5 students away from Top 10%). She is confident that she will move up during Jr year when others start slacking off, but I think more people step it into gear jr year). She has not taken SAT or ACT yet. She got a 1210 on PSAT without studying and is planning to take a prep course before SAT/ACT. Is there any chance she can get into Mays through wholistic review? She has decent ECs (4 year Varsity sport, Student Council, NHS, PALS) and lots of volunteer/service hours. TAMU is top choice and she is not really interested in looking at back up schools, though I am encouraging her to have Plan B and C.

I can tell you that my DD moved up 60+ spots at a highly competitive high school Junior year. While many kids step it up they are also in much harder classes (for example AP Chemistry and AP Physics) and struggle to get an A. Focus on moving up to Top10% and have her take the SAT to see where she lands and then go from there. I am betting that she ends up Auto Admit at the end of her Junior Year. Good luck

@S18D20mom Sadly, Mays fills up with top 10% only. It’s crazy, but until they go into holistic review like Engineering, it’s almost impossible to get in Mays outside of the top 10. With that being said, your daughter sounds like she has an excellent chance of jumping into the top 10%. Reinforce that every point counts. Best of luck!!!

Thanks @AggieMomhelp that’s exactly what I thought. She has had friends get into other majors through review and she just doesn’t get that Mays and Engineering are way more competitive. Hopefully she will be motivated to really excel junior year. I know she can do it if she tries her best. She just is not the student my S18 is. She has to work harder and is way more distracted by her social life :wink:

Does Mays ever take any transfer students from other TAMU colleges through PSA?

@S18D20mom Besides top 10% admit, If she can make academic admit, she can have a spot in Mays as well. Academic admit is top 25% and SAT 1360 with certain sub scores.
Mays only takes 1000 freshmen, so the earlier you apply the better. We have friends who applied in mid-late Nov. a few years ago as a top 10% and it was full and the applicant had to chose another major.