Chance Trans Male for Top 20s!

OP, I would submit your scores. You need some external validation that your high GPA means something besides “teachers like me” (which is, sadly, sometimes the case in rural HS’s that don’t send a lot of kids to college). And your scores do that- validate your high grades.

Take a look at Brown which is always seeking out kids from rural areas, especially first Gen (did your parents go to college?) Take a look at Brandeis where your government/poli sci/social justice/creative writing profile will resonate. Take a look at Clark, Connecticut College- ditto. Take a look at Skidmore. If any of these are affordable based on what comes up from the NPC- they should be on your list.

1 Like

You are an interesting candidate with, no doubt, an interesting story to tell. There are some name schools (Harvard, Princeton) that specifically target low-income students. Gender identity will not matter to most schools, though if it is part of a compelling background it might be a factor. For you, the way that you position yourself in your application will be critical.

If you feel that you can squeeze out another point or two in an ACT retake, that might help. Some good studying can bump up that math score. A low-income candidate with top grades and a 35 ACT would be attractive to any college. Tell your story well, and with a little luck you could find yourself at an Ivy. Best of luck,

1 Like

You seem like a fantastic student. Congratulations on all your accomplishments and I hope you have success with the very generous, reachy schools on your list. If that doesn’t work out you might consider searching for a full ride to a less reachy school. One example is Elizabethtown college in PA has the stamps scholarship. Getting accepted to college and affording all the extraneous costs over 4 years are 2 very different challenges. I know you can be successful anywhere because you’ve already proven it! Good luck

1 Like

I agree with everyone in this thread; I think you’ve got a good shot. I’m a junior at Harvard rn, and my best friend who I met on the first day of freshman year is a Questbridge scholar from a rural community; your story reminded me a lot of him.
Being a good writer is going to be a big help for you, especially since you have a really incredible story to tell. I would encourage you to make yourself vulnerable; a good common app essay, or any application essay, should feel like a deep personal reflection when you’re writing it.
Make sure you do your research, though, and emphasize how you want to make a difference at a school through already-existing institutions. For instance, if you’re interested in government/politics and you’re applying to Harvard, mention the Institute of Politics or other organizations on campus that might interest you.
Most importantly, though, try to enjoy this process, and prioritize finding your “fit” of school as opposed to going for rankings exclusively. I am confident that you are going to be successful no matter where you go… good luck!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.