Chance twin daughter #2 - [VT resident, 3.8 UW GPA, Uncertain Major, but likely Psychology/Biology, ~<$60k]

Second of two - thought it was easiest to split into separate threads

US citizen
Vermont
Public HS approximately 950 students
Female

Intended Major(s) - Uncertain likely Psychology, Neuroscience, or Biology

Unweighted HS GPA: 3.8 (3.5 in 9th grade - entire year was remote, 4.0 since)
No class rank or ACT/SAT scores

Coursework
6 APs. 4 this year, 3 last year - AP Biology 3, AP Psych 3, AP Lang & Comp 3.
3 years Latin, 3 years Spanish.

Extracurriculars
Leader Neuroscience Club
Freshman Peer Leader - competitive program
Viola in Youth Orchestra
Track & Winter Track - 11 & 12th grades
Summer - Outdoor Leadership Training Course x2
Volunteer - approx 150 hours

Strong LORs

Moved from Ohio to Vermont following 9th grade.

Cost Constraints / Budget
Ideally <$60k/year

Schools
Reach -

• Wesleyan (possible ED, uncertain)
  • Skidmore

Match -

• University of Vermont - EA
  • Clark University (EA)

Likely -

• Wheaton (MA) (EA)
    (Note: need to add additional likelies, considering Muhlenberg, St. Michael’s, St. Lawrence)

She’s also shown strong interest lately in going to a smaller predominantly undergraduate institution in Canada, but haven’t visited - Mount Allison University, Acadia University, and Bishop’s.

Her current favorites in order - Wesleyan, Clark, UVM, Skidmore

Will you qualify of need aid? If not, remove Wesleyan (definitely don’t ED) and Skidmore. You won’t be near $60K.

If you want an LAC, look to schools that will give merit - can be many - from a Hobart or Dickinson if you want to be in NY to schools like Wooster, Allegheny, and yes Clark. Go to #60 or below in US News - and pick and choose and most will be merit awarding.

I assume test optional? Miami of Ohio would be public option for you and potentially some SUNYs in addition to UVM.

Good luck.

1 Like

As with your other twin…I think UVM is possible…

Based on her favorites I think UVM and Clark are possible.

Thank you.

We are on the bubble of need based aid, largely because we’ll have 2 in school at the same time. NPCs show need over $60k per year with 2 in school at the same time, but impending changes to the federal methodology may shift that. Will look at those additional schools.

Thank you.

Is your daughter open to additional schools?

Yes.

Seems like she is leaning toward smaller schools?

TCNJ and SUNY will come in under your price point. Take a look at Geneseo and New Paltz.

4 Likes

Yes, UVM is the largest schools she’s considering. Will definitely look at those. Thanks for the suggestions!

1 Like

UConn may be too large (although not huge as flagships go), but it seemed worth pointing out that their Cognitive Science major, which spans your daughter’s interests nicely, is eligible for tuition reciprocity for Vermont students:

Have you considered Brandeis? Also, if she likes Skidmore, Connecticut College could be worth a look too - they do have some merit awards, and their interdisciplinary-oriented curriculum may appeal. If you like Muhlenberg as a likely, check out Juniata also.

7 Likes

Thanks! All really helpful suggestions.

I think that UVM, Mount Allison, Acadia, and Bishop’s are all very likely with a 3.8 unweighted GPA, and being in-state for UVM. All would also fit under your $60,000 budget. We are quite familiar with all four of these universities and liked all of them quite a bit. Deciding between them might not be easy, but having to decide between several good options is a good problem to have!

If you do visit Mount Allison and Acadia, you might want to try some of the Nova Scotia wines while you are there. If you like white wines then both the L’Acadie Blanc and the Tidal Bay are worth trying (L’Acadie Blanc is a grape variety, Tidal Bay is a blend that includes L’Acadie Blanc).

Whether Wesleyan or Skidmore would fit the budget, even if admitted, I would not know. I personally would not apply ED unless the NPC shows that the university is likely to be affordable.

6 Likes

D23 applied and was accepted to Clark. I know there was a scholarship deadline for Clark. D23 received the merit award that was half the tuition cost. Make sure you so Clark demonstrated interest. Have your D24 do the interview and you should do the parent letter as well. D23 is attending another school but Clark was a great option. Unfortunately it was a little too local for D23.

3 Likes

Thank you! Very helpful

Thank you! Appreciate it!

1 Like

I didn’t go as in-depth with this search as with Twin #1 (time!), but these schools all seemed to have good popularity for all three majors of interest, which I am using as a rough translation to the robustness of the offerings. It also appears that outside of U. of Vermont (and the possible likelies under consideration), that none of the schools are overlapping. I am assuming that this is intentional, and that there’s a preference for them not to attend the same school. Is that correct, or was this just a coincidence? In looking at your likelies, I think they might be a better fit for Twin #2 than #1.

These are some schools that your D may want to consider, sorted by my very fallible guesses as to what her chances for admission might be. The ones with asterisks are the ones you indicated you were already thinking about.

Extremely Likely (80-99+%)

• Saint Michael’s* (VT): About 1200 undergrads

• Stonehill (MA): About 2500 undergrads

• U. of Scranton (PA ): About 3600 undergrads

Likely (60-79%)

• Allegheny (PA ): About 1400 undergrads and seems as though it might be well-suited to your D

• Muhlenberg* (PA ): About 1900 undergrads

• St. Lawrence* (NY): About 2100 undergrads

• SUNY Geneseo: About 4100 undergrads and tuition won’t be higher than UVM’s

• Susquehanna (PA ): About 2200 undergrads

Toss-Up (40-59%)

Lower Probability (20-39%)

• Dickinson (PA ): About 2100 undergrads

• Lafayette (PA ): About 2700 undergrads

• Trinity (CT): About 2200 undergrads

Low Probability (less than 20%)

Lack of overlap is partially intentional and partially reflective of their differences. They love one another, but really want to be in a situation where they aren’t lumped together socially. (They’ve almost always have had overlapping friend groups, so they want to be able be in a situation where that is more likely. They aren’t dead set against going to the same school, very few have resonated with both) Have been considering some of these and were planning to visit. Will share the list with her! Than you!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.