Chances and ChemE

<p>Sorry, I know these posts can be annoying, but I'm really interested in applying to Purdue's Engineering programs (ChemE). </p>

<p>Here's my stats:
GPA: 3.8
ACT: 24
I'm NHS VP, Latin Club VP, a lot of community service, I've placed 2nd in a National Computer Competition, etc.</p>

<h2>I know my ACT is low, which is what I'm mainly concerned about, but I already took it again. Purdue is also a top engineering school, so I'm concerned about my chances with other top students.</h2>

<p>While I'm at it, how's Purdue? Like I said I'm interested in ChemE. How's that program?</p>

<p>I’m actually a Purdue student right now and I say that it is very likely that you get accepted yet very unlikely that you receive financial aid. In regards to your Chemical Engineering question, I have a friend who is studying that and I’d say that any type of engineering here is tough based on the amount of homework he has. There are two courses that are considered “weed-out” courses that are required for engineering majors: Chem 115, and ENG 131. A LOT of people drop out of engineering because of such courses, hence the low retention rate.</p>

<p>I hope I answered your question but if not, feel free to e-mail me at jonu.acosta@ g m a i l . c o m</p>

<p>P.S: I’m a molecular bio major.</p>

<p>That was really helpful, thanks!</p>

<p>I’m a sophomore in chemE right now. So I’m only in my first chemE class right now. And it’s a lot of work, but it’s so rewarding when all the pieces click together. Our professors for the class that I’m in (it’s being co-taught) are pretty accessible and tried to schedule their office hours around when most people don’t have class. </p>

<p>As for ENGR 131/132, it’s mostly about killing you withr the amount of work you have to do. I didn’t see CHM115 as much as a weed out class. I thought it wasn’t too hard, but I did take AP in high school but got a 3 on the exam. PHYS172 and MA166 aka mechanics and calc 2 were the real killers for me. </p>

<p>Honestly, once you get in at Purdue, work hard and don’t give up. That’s really all I can suggest.</p>