Chances at mid-tier UCs? +questions about application

<p>I’m looking at UCD, UCSC, UCSB, and UCI. My GPA is below average for these schools though. I’m a California resident and I go to an extremely competitive public high school. First generation student going to college. And I’m Asian, if that matters (no plus factor for adding to campus diversity here). My intended majors at these schools are undeclared social sciences for UCD, and sociology for SC/SB/I.</p>

<p>GPA: 3.55 (UW), 3.81 (UC)
SAT: 1790 (R/M/W : 620/590/580)
ACT (composite): 30 (English: 35, Math: 26, Science: 26, Reading: 31, Combined E/W: 31)
SAT Subject Tests: Math II (590), Literature (600)
ECs: A few clubs, varsity sport for a year
Volunteering: Only volunteer work I’ve done was with volunteer clubs–not much outside volunteering
AP Courses: World History (3), Psychology (5), Chemistry (2), Calculus AB (?), Physics (?)
Personal Statement: Pretty good in my opinion, and centralized around my intended major</p>

<p>I feel like the clubs I’m in + my personal statement demonstrates a strong interest for my major, but I’m fearful that my GPA/test scores are horribly average. I don’t expect any definite acceptances from these universities at all, but I’m hoping that I’ll at least be considered despite my weak numbers.</p>

<p>Questions:

1. How will UCs factor in my test scores? I’ve taken the SAT I twice, with a slight improvement the second time, but it’s still not a competitive enough score for the schools that I’m applying for. However, I did much better on the ACT, as my score translates roughly to ~2000 on the SAT. Do I send both of these scores, and will they simply look at my ACT?
  2. My subject test scores are terrible, especially my math. I know they’re optional for UCs though and I don’t believe I need them for my intended majors. Would they be harmful if I sent them in?
  3. Does applying undeclared lower your chances as well for getting into UCs?</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this and for helping a nervous college applicant!! #:-S </p>

<ol>
<li>UC’s will take the highest test scores from 1 sitting so send both ACT and SAT if you reported both on your application. If not, then ACT only.</li>
<li>The UC’s do not allow score choice, so you can either not send any SAT scores or you have to send them all which includes subject tests.</li>
<li>Applying Undeclared will not lower your chances however, if you plan to switch majors into a very competitive major later on, you may not be able unless you are a direct admit.</li>
</ol>

<p>For chances, they are really useless since you cannot get into the mind of an admissions officer. So based on Stats:</p>

<p>UCI/UCD/UCSB: High Match
UCSC: Match</p>