Chances at Texas A&M

Do freshman holistic applicants typically have to wait until end of March before receiving word of admittance? My daughter is top 25% but with “new” SAT of 1300, so she is holistically reviewed. She applied August 1st and we are hoping she’ll be told before January. Just wondering if that is even likely. Anyone have knowledge or experience with this?

The review candidates are for the most part given responses after the Dec 1 deadline for applications. Take into account the Dec 1 academic admits & top 10%er’s who apply at midnight…and yes, that happens… have to be processed & counted first before they determine how many reviews they can admit. If you haven’t yet submitted two recommendations, you can do that to help your daughter’s package. Also any update in stats can be submitted until Dec 1 (rank if applicable, scores, achievements/awards, etc) just not the essays. They roll out admissions as they come vs. waiting for mass notifications. There are some weeks with heavy amounts of certain candidates: auto, review, blinn team, etc. those are usually the ‘first wave’ of those particular groups BUT does not mean there are no more spots in College Station campus for full unconditional admits according to an admissions rep a few years ago.

If your daughter doesn’t have a safety school, being a review admit in this day and age of high popularity of the school, I would apply somewhere else as a true backup. If you have the time, you can read through the posts on TexAgs under academics. That will give a bigger picture of the process ( it is a LONG post over several admission cycles & some things have since been deleted).

Here’s a post that also might help you with the ‘odds’, stats from last year’s freshman class: https://twitter.com/Aggie_Bound/status/770773694541017088/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw I think the biggest misconception is that it is ‘easy’ to be accepted here, the stats posted are for all types of admits. Here is a breakdown from the class of 2018 that I did a while ago - it was the first time I had seen such plain stated stats on admission: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1676831-class-of-2018-offers-of-admission-breakdown.html#latest click on the link to the chart on the first entry to see what was info was released, analysis is in the following posts.

Hope this helps some :slight_smile: Good luck!

Most likely, being a review applicant, she will hear after Dec 1 application deadline. Auto admits/academic admits must be admitted first before review applicants. Waves came out pretty regularly after Dec. 1.for applicants admitted to College Station and continued through to the third Friday in Feb (the 21st?) I just went back and read through the posts. Those offered the other pathways or rejected heard the 3rd week in Feb, not before. Hope that helps. Good luck to her.

AGmomx2-Thank you. This does help :slight_smile:

Do freshman holistic applicants typically have to wait until end of March before receiving word of admittance? My daughter is top 25% but with “new” SAT of 1300, so she is holistically reviewed. She applied August 1st and we are hoping she’ll be told before January. Just wondering if that is even likely. Anyone have knowledge or experience with this?

No there is no specific date - they can advise you of your status at any time. If before Dec 1, it use to always be what I refer to as a full admit ( college station campus, option of your major). that is a VERY small amount of students. Then the next chances are after Dec 1 until mid-January, then the mix of replies seem to hit hard around mid-Jan to March. they usually try to get them all out by March, but there is nothing binding them to a date other than before May 1 which is national decision day for college admissions. Based on what I know of, I’d say she would probably hear by mid- January…but that is totally a ‘mom’ guess.

I never asked, what is her major? If engineering none of this applies… they are treated entirely different now.

AGmomx2 Her major is engineering. Darn, so none of this will apply? How so? Just trying to gather as much information as I can. I know that the way things are working is that all engineering majors will be placed in a general engineering type of program and then they will have to apply for a specific discipline of engineering.

Do you think my daughter would even have a chance to general engineering as a holistic/review- into just the campus- candidate?

Thank you

The engineering application process is entirely new for this year and their decisions are coming out differently than the other colleges.

According to the engineering admissions webpage, your daughter should hear by early December.

“All applicants who select Engineering as a first choice major, including those who qualify for automatic admission to the University via Top 10% or Academic admission, will be reviewed holistically for placement into General Engineering. To qualify for Early Action notification, your admission file must be complete by October 15”

“Early Action
Applicants who select Engineering as a first choice major and have a complete admissions file by October 15 will be notified in early December.”

Those whose applications are received between Oct 16 and Dec 1 will hear in January.
“All Other Admission Decisions
Applicants will be notified by mid-January.”

Thank you, Thelma2.

@Whoop’90 I saw on another post that your daughter’s rank is top 21% and has a 1300 SAT. Today, I was reading thorough the Class of 2020 admissions decisions thread and the review applicants who were offered Engineering at Galveston https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/engineering-at-galveston or Blinn Engineering Academy http://engineering.tamu.edu/academies/blinn-bryan, These students were in the top 25% of their class and ranged from a 1760 SAT to 1900’s (old SAT). They also had at least AP physics and AP Calculus AB. That said, my sampling wasn’t large. I just picked 4 applicants who were offered these programs, then had to go find the thread with their credentials and I ran out of time to look more up. Those with the higher SAT/ACT scores seemed to be offered Galveston (29-30 ACT, 1800-1900 SAT) and those who were offered Blinn had lesser the scores of 27-28 ACT and 1760 SAT.

Freshman year, first semester classes are heavily engineering calculus based, Math 151 (engineering calculus) and Physics 218.

Her SAT is really good may work in her favor for a College Station admission as a review applicant but her rank could make it a reach, and then the math credentials will add a component. Look into the other pathways of admissions and see if that is something she would be happy doing, should that be what is offered to her. The handful of kids I know of for class 2020 review admits who applied for engineering, did not have near your daughter’s SAT scores, they did have better rank (top 15%) and didn’t have Calculus AB or BC and were offered Blinn Team.

One friend of mine’s son was offered Galveston last year. He was disappointed when he wasn’t offered full admission to College Station. Since he has been down there in engineering, he has plugged in, joined an activity, andis thinking he may go ocean engineering, after being exposed, rather than applying to major and coming to College Station after freshman year.

Good Luck to your daughter.

Thank you, Thema2. I love that you were able to pull some samples for comparison. Although, we would love her to be fully admitted, we know that the chances are slim.

I am not sure my daughter’s SAT is not really all that great. It is only 95% of what is needed for full admittance being that the new SAT requirements are now 1360 for reading/math ands she received 1300. I know her ranking of 21% is not fabulous either. Grrrr

She is taking AP Cal AB and AP Chem this senior year so that is a plus. She has also two well written essays, leadership roles, extracurricular activities, and is working part time. I hope that these other activities will aid her in the decision making process.

I know the worse case scenario will be okay, but we can not help but wish for the best case scenario. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your information and encouragement.

you can send two recommendations to add to her file.

@Whoop '90 (I can’t seem to get your name to tag you) Absolutely hope for the best case scenario and I second the rec letters. If by chance your daughter is offered Galveston, know that the Galveston campus is the only other campus that gets their Aggie ring, like CS. Also, they take the same courses as the freshmen at CS and apply to major just like the CS students and when they get their major, they then go to the CS campus as a full time engineering student. They are just completing their first year at Galveston. Unless, she falls in love with the ocean and the beach and decides to stay!!!

Thank you, Thelma 2