<p>Hispanic Female
Non-competitive public Florida high school
Futre Major: English/Journalism Double/ Minor: Creative Writing </p>

<p>Academics:
Unweighted GPA- 3.5
Weighted GPA- 4.33
SAT: 1880: 510-Math/650-Verbal/720 Writing/10-Essay
ACT: 26: 31-Reading/27-English/21-Math/23-Science</p>

<p>Senior Yr. Schedule: **Schedule was mesed up due to new alternating day schedule implemented at my school (could not get AP Stats or Physics- considering taking these online or thru dual enroll)
AP English
AP Spanish
AP US Hist
AP Environ
AP Microecon
Anat. & Physiol Honors
Newsppr Journalism II
Comp Programming Honors</p>

<p>EC's:
Editor in Chief of School Newspaper
President of National Honor Society
Martial Arts-Aikijutsu- Advanced Ranking
Martial Arts-Jujutsu-Advanced Ranking
Toyama Ryu Batto Do-Japanese Sword-Intermediate
130+ Volunteer Hours
Published Writing </p>

<p>Sort-of Hooks:
-I have two sisters that attended and graduated from UM
-Hispanic (not sure if that really helps at UM tho)</p>

<p>I don't know how Miami is looking at the writing component of the SAT. You're writing score is very high, if they are counting it, that will help you. If not, I think chances are low and it's a REACH.</p>

<p>I think you are a well rounded applicant. Hispanic helps at UM, they have a large hispanic population. You have family that graduated from there. Also, I hope you brought out your martial arts activities in your application. That's unique. Having high scores in the reading/writing is good considering you are a potential english major.</p>

<p>But the GPA as well as test scores will hurt. They are both below the standards, and overall, Miami has about a 40% acceptance rate, not too high. And that's for an average applicant. Your scores are near the 25% mark.</p>

<p>Miami, uses weighted gpas (I talked to an admission counselor online). Yours is very high.</p>

<p>I think you will get into the school.</p>

<p>thank you for your response...i was pretty much thinking along the same lines..i do agree UM is a reach for me, however as far as the GPA issue-UM's average GPA is stated as a weighted 4.1 and I have a weighted 4.3..so wouldn't help rather than hurt? Do they recalculate GPA's? Or do they use the school provided weighted GPA? </p>

<p>also..which testing of mine do you think is preferable to send: ACT or SAT, as they both have their weak points...I think the ACT would be because I am closer to UM's avg ACT (a composite of 27), however I do have a good writing score on the SAT. I was planning on sending both.</p>

<p>thanks a bunch dstark...thats what i was thinking (about the GPA)</p>

<p>I like your writing score too. I can not remember if they are using the writing score. I would send it. </p>

<p>You want to major in writing, or English, or journalism. Your scores are high in these areas. </p>

<p>I think you will get into Miami.</p>

<p>Did you apply EA?</p>

<p>Thanks a lot dstark...I really hope I get in bc UM is my first choice school...no, I applied RD..</p>

<p>Since your sisters went there, and you want to go there, they must have had a great experience.</p>

<p>What are the pros and cons of the school?</p>

<p>My son is thinking of applying there next year.</p>

<p>I would say the pros of UM include its large size and relatively small class sizes, enormous amount majors/minors to choose from, pretty nice dorms (especially for upperclassmen), strong academic departments (esp. in Communications, Music, Medicine, etc.), nice student body (fairly balanced geographically, ethnically, politically, etc.), amazing location (big city, lots of job opps thru alumn connections in Miami, right by Coconut Grove, etc.), decent and rising reputation...Clearly, I love UM..lol</p>

<p>As for the negatives..based on my sisters and several campus visits, I'd say the cafeteria food is not the greatest, however there are plenty of amazing food options off campus too; the underclassmen dorms are very small and you have to share a communal bathroom for the first two years depending on which dorm you choose; Miami's traffic is a major pain too</p>

<p>Thanks. Good luck to you.</p>

<p>US News ranked Miami as the #1 school for indebtness after graduation. I'd say that's a cause for concern.</p>

<p>US News ranked Miami as the #1 school for indebtness after graduation.</p>

<p>What does that mean? Does that just pertain to students who require financial assistance?</p>