Chances At UW Madison Econ/Finance

<p>Hey guys I will keep this post as short as possible. My grades have been steadily rising through high school and I had a really good last tri of junior year, but did terrible in Algebra 2(got B, C and B-); how does this affect my chances? I honestly did not know how college admissions worked until 2nd tri of junior year (I thought we applied at the end of senior year), should I explain this in my essay?</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): NA</p>

<p>ACT:30</p>

<p>Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.3 slight upward trend, will have a 3.8+ gpa last tri of senior year. Does this help? Last tri of Junior year I got a 3.56 because of that B-(had 4 A-'s and 1 A)</p>

<p>Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): IDK but probably lower than top 25%</p>

<p>AP (place score in parenthesis): Took 5 or 6 Aps. Did not take tests</p>

<p>Course Load: 3 Aps 1 Honors(senior), I always had at least 3/6 honors or AP classes and I think the max is 4. I didn't have more because of scheduling issues with French
Subjective:</p>

<p>Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Did not do anything with my school but I did stuff on my own. </p>

<p>Job/Work Experience: I started a business selling WOW and game gold in 9th grade and ran it until 10th grade. I made $300 but that helped fuel my passion for business. I have had a job since 11th grade working as a freelancer doing Reputation Management and have made 1k+ for myself. Recently started my own Reputation Management company am on track to generate $30k a year</p>

<p>Volunteer/Community service: 0</p>

<p>Summer Activities: Went to Togo for 2 months</p>

<p>Essays: Pretty good</p>

<p>Teacher Recommendation: Both teachers liked me. 1 from Honors and 1 from Geometry teacher</p>

<p>Counselor Rec: Do I need one? If so, probably generic</p>

<p>State (if domestic applicant): MN</p>

<p>Country (if international applicant): USA</p>

<p>School Type: Public, Average</p>

<p>Ethnicity: Black born in Togo</p>

<p>Gender: M</p>

<p>Income Bracket: Probably less than $40k for family of 6</p>

<p>Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: I am really passionate about business and money but I didn't always make school my top priority.</p>

<p>“tri”- your HS must do a three quarter system instead of a semester system like most do. Most of your senior year grades will be too late to matter to admissions committees. As an underrepresented minority you may be eligible for scholarships at colleges and other consideration. </p>

<p>Your extracurricular activities are there but never let them take away from your school work. You need to show you can do college work by doing the HS work. It is good you are able to make money now but don’t be short sighted. In the long term you will go further if you pay attention to the academics- this applies to college as well. Are you willing to give up the moneymaking to devote yourself to your college studies? Passing AP courses with 3s on AP tests is like getting C’s in a college version- not all that impressive.</p>

<p>UW does not generally admit freshmen to any specific programs- you are admitted to the university as a whole regardless of your proposed major. You will need calculus in college for Economics- be sure your math skills are there- study material you didn’t learn in the course before taking any placement exams. </p>

<p>You can apply to UW and see what happens. Good ACT. Grades- upward trend is helpful. Minority status may help. No matter what you do be sure to make school your primary focus. In the long run having a college degree makes you marketable- you can’t depend on your current type job to sustain you forever. It may happen that you would have to apply to UW as a transfer student.</p>