Chances for Berkeley/UCLA college of engineering?

Major for Cal: undeclared engineering
Major for LA: aerospace

SAT I: 1460 (660 R/W, 800 Math)
SAT II: Math 2 780
UW UC gpa: 3.39
W UC gpa: 3.83
State: OOS, Michigan
Race: Asian (Indian)
AP/IB classes including senior year: AP Calculus AB, AP US history, IB Dance HL, IB Chemistry, IB Biology, Introduction to Python (MIT OCW), IB English language and literature 1 HL, IB French HL, Theory of Knowledge, IB Chemistry 2 HL, IB English 2, AP Physics 1, IB world history, IB Mathematics HL/Calculus BC, IB Philosophy HL.

Explanation for poor gpa: I moved to Michigan after completing my 10th grade in India. I received straight As in both 9th and 10th grade, but had B’s in courses that India considers as “extra-curricular” and are hence not a part of the report cards sent home. But, my school in Michigan used some of those extra curricular courses to complete my graduation requirements, which lowers my unweighted gpa. I also struggled a lot with the cultural differences, trying to find my own comfortable niche and learning the accent and grammar nuances. I had no knowledge of US history at all, but I really wanted to learn, so I decided that I would do AP US History (I earned 2 C’s, unfortunately). Throughout my junior year, I had 3 A’s, 7 B’s and 3 C’s, including the ones from US history.

Awards/ honors/ work experience:

Work Experience:

I interned at a capacitor factory in 2016, which taught me about work conditions as well as how high rated capacitors function during electrical energy production.

I interned at a company that optimised transportation routes for employees to reach their office in the fastest way possible. I actually created a program for one of their route optimisations.

I interned with a non governmental organisation to help solve an energy crisis in my community of 1500. It took weeks of activism, political awakeness, and knowledge of energy saving techniques.

Awards/ honors:

I have national recognised diploma awards and honors in an Indian dance form and classical violin.

I reached the second round in a National Math Olympiad, and was a part of a 5 member Olympiad team that competed in a lot of Math competitions.

I synthesised an equation using calculus to find the age at which a batsman begins to decline in form.

These are the highlights, but there are other small stuff (tutoring peers, building drones, coding, 10 gpa in the Indian board exams, etc)

High Reach as an OOS applicant with a UC GPA below 4.0 and an intended Engineering major. Your SAT is within range but OOS applicants are held to a higher standard.

2018 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 10%
UCLA: 9%

2018 UC capped weighted GPA averages:
UCB: 4.23
UCLA: 4.23

2018 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT:

UCB: 1360-1540

UCLA: 1340-1540

Best of luck and if admitted make sure your family can afford $65K/year with no financial aid.

Hello! What schools do you think are a match for me (maybe out of the UCs or elsewhere)? Would my gpa be my biggest downfall in my admission decisions? I got into Uiuc for CS and Chapel Hill for Mathematics till now…

NC State or Virginia Tech perhaps?

Purdue has one of the best Aerospace Engineering programs around. Your GPA might be OK for general acceptance at Purdue but not likely for Engineering.

UIUC and UNC are good acceptances given the GPA/standardized test scores. One question is the CS for UIUC not in the Engineering Program? That is extremely competitive.

For the UC’s and Engineering, your GPA will definitely impact your chances. I would say UC Merced, Riverside and Santa Cruz would be your best chances/options but as an OOS student paying $65K/year, I would think you would have much affordable and better options in-state.

Yes CS for UIUC in the engineering program

I would stick with the UIUC CompSci acceptance. Low acceptance rate and with your grades and SAT1 scores, you should count yourself fortunate to have an acceptance like that.

UCs require a minimum 3.4 GPA for OOS applicants and 3.39 will not be rounded up.

UIUC will be expensive, but not as expensive as UC for an OOS student.

UIUC CS is very strong.

It will cost less if you are paying the full price (12k per year tuition difference and Champaign-Urbana is way cheaper than Berkeley or LA). Further, if you qualify for financial aid, UIUC will likely give you something, where as UCB and UCLA will likely not.

Most likely, you are still waiting on UM decision. If that comes through, it would be best for the money.

In reality, for CS, it matters little which of these you go to.

Really unlikely. If you just gotta come to CA for college and don’t have budget constraints, SDSU, UCR, USD Cal Poly Pomona and LMU are more realistic targets and worth a look.
good luck

Do they not consider educational hardships? I thought they reviewed holistically…

Update: Got into Davis for Aerospace, Santa Cruz for Comp Sci! (Did not apply to Riverside)

Hardships are considered somewhat - but, there are a LOT of aps to review.

Congrats on UCD and UCSC!
They are both great schools. Are they within your budget?