• out of state : MA
  • US citizen but moved here from ireland soph year
  • 3.7/5 GPA, 3.5/4 GPA
  • 34 comp ACT, 36 eng, 33 math, 35 read, 32 sci
  • president's volunteer service award gold and silver
  • high honor roll
  • one year of track and plenty of work and volunteering
  • 5 on APUSH
  • soph year bad math grades (had to double up Alg I and Geo bc behind from ireland) but A+ in Alg II junior year
  • girl
  • great grades freshman year from ireland, B's and C+'s soph year, all A's junior year

forgot to say but hs doesnt rank, i’d probs be top third its a v competitive school

I would say decent chances. And your parents are fine with being full pay and paying near $45-50,000 per year? You will likely get no financial aid of any kind other than loans. It might happen, but based on this past year’s information, your chances are slim.

Do you know how engineering at Texas A&M works as far as admission to major?

@emppme1

I think you have pretty good chances (because of high standardized test scores). As long as you can get 4k of scholarships (from the university itself), you will qualify for in-state tuition.

@RMNiMiTz --did you follow the “Out of State Merit Scholarship” thread this past season to get an idea of how incredibly hard that is to do?

Texas is full of IN-state kids with stats just as strong, if not stronger. I would bet they admit this student, but they want the $$. Highly doubtful they are going to hand out $$.

Here is the link. Not too many here hit that magical 4K mark.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1954294-tamu-merit-based-scholarships-for-out-of-state-freshman-p1.html

@carachel2

It’s worth trying. 34 ACT with decent EC’s should give OP a fair chance. OP should obviously also apply to MA schools and go there if she isn’t offered the 4k.

@RMNiMiTz --absolutely worth trying but with a heavy dose of realism.