CHANCES FOR ENGINEERING/CompSCI and any merit $$ for OOS

<p>VT looks like it may be a good fit for my son.
Are higher stats needed for the E and CS majors?
Anyone know about merit $$$ and if soon may qualify for any?</p>

<p>Stats:
GPA- about 3.82 (weighted with just 3 AP's- will take 4 AP's senior year)
ACT- 31 with all parts in that range</p>

<p>EC's and Rec's- fine.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>He's got a good shot. It's harder to get into engineering than most other majors but his stats are really good, especially if the 4 APs bring the weighted GPA up. Make sure you visit campus if you can, it's a great place.</p>

<p>I agree with chuy regarding his chances of being admitted. Unfortunately, I haven't heard that VT is a state university that offers a great deal of merit money as a way to lure oos kids there (as a place like the University of South Carolina does). My s was just accepted to VT with almost the exact same stats as yours - (3.9 GPA, 5 APs and 30 on the ACT in state into architecture), but was only offered a Stafford loan from VT as a form of aid. You never know however! Make sure to get your FAFSA paperwork in and his applications to the general scholarship funds in on time. Some of the scholarships will come directly from the department or program that he is admitted to and he doesn't necessarily have to apply for them. </p>

<p>Also, try to get him to apply to as many local scholarships as possible. It is amazing that some of these kids don't try for the "smaller" local scholarships (those in the $250- $500 range). They can add up and if they receive even a couple of them it can really help! Good luck to you and your son!</p>