Chances for Engineering?

<p>My son is looking at Purdue as one of his top choices for engineering. He is OOS (New Jersey) with a weighted 3.93 GPA. Taking AP calculus, physics and Statistics this year with about 9 other Honors courses already taken. 1950 SAT (720 math). Starting Varsity Soccer player with 3 years of work experience after school. Not much more EC, he played club soccer year round and it took up much of his time. It is hard getting data on Purdue's entrance stats for Engineering. It seems low for such a highly regarded school. I know about the "weeding out" that supposedly goes on, but he is committed to rise to the challenge and go for it at one of the top engineering schools in the country. What are his chances of getting in?</p>

<p>Purdue doesn’t weight grades, what’s his unweighted GPA? (4=A, 3=B, etc). The stats seem low because you don’t have the engineering data. Engineering’s requirements are a lot higher than just Purdue’s overall stats. Is it AP Physics C E/M or AP Physics B (purdue doesn’t accept AP Phys B last I heard). </p>

<p>It certainly won’t hurt to apply. He might be about average for an engineering student. Make sure you apply before the scholarship deadline.
Worry about the weed out classes after he gets accepted.</p>

<p>His unweighted gpa is 3.7. I am not worried about the weeding out but rather the type of environment that it is if it is so competitive for places. If they are so much higher, then what is a mean score for the engineering school on SAT and GPA? I have not found that anywhere.</p>

<p>Oh, also, what’s his class rank? He seems around average if I remember what one of the advisers said for this year. The average SAT and GPA has been increasing recently.</p>

<p>It’s not competitive for places (except for BME, they only accept maybe 70 kids a year if I remember right). The classes themselves are difficult/ challenging to the point of making kids quit the class/ major. This usually weeds out the kids not fit for the major or kids in engineering just for the money.</p>

<p>He is 53/335 I believe. We’ll see if he gets in. I did find data on a school webpage that seems to put him above the average in stats for enrolled students so he should have a shot. Students enrolled to the College of Engineering for 2010 had an average SAT in the middle 50% range of 1720-2010. Of the students that enrolled, 50% had a GPA between a 3.4-3.8, and an ACT Composite of 26-31.</p>

<p><a href=“Home - Office of Future Engineers - Purdue University”>Home - Office of Future Engineers - Purdue University;

<p>Does applying to the College of Technology significantly improve your chances?</p>

<p>I noticed updated stats for last years class on the link posted by WAPacker:</p>

<p>To give you an idea of the academic preparedness of students who apply, are admitted and then enroll into the College of Engineering, here are middle 50% range and mean (Fall 2012):</p>

<p>HS Class Rank – Top 10%</p>

<p>SAT (CR+M+Writing) 1800-2080 (mean 1937)</p>

<p>ACT 28-32 (mean 30.0)</p>

<p>GPA 3.8-4.0 (mean 3.85)</p>