Chances for OOS admissions for Business

My son applied regular decision for Business, Undecided.
GPA is 3.94, weighted
SAT writing 590
SAT math 670
SAT comp 1260
He is a legacy (me and my dad) and we live in Colorado. He’s got plenty of extra-curriculars from Model UN, multiple Varsity sports, jobs, over 100 hours volunteer service and an internship at a medical device company. What do you think his chances are for admission? The waiting is killing me to see if he will get to be a Hokie.

This ones a good question. Out of state hurts but legacy helps if borderline. You really shouldn’t be borderline but with last year being unpredictable - I’m sure this one will be as well. I think a little higher SAT and you would have been golden. VT is definately getting competitive and to be certain these days you definitely need over 4.0.

Best of luck - you have a decdent shot.

Why do you think OOS hurts? I get it that they take more in state kids, of course, but you would think they’d like the higher tuition paid by OOS kids :wink:

Well because in state students do have an advantage. Nearly 2/3 of those excepted are in state so an in state person with the same resume is going to get in before an out of state.

Sure they like out of state dollars but doesn’t mean they can start accepting as many out of state. State isn’t going to allow that. Uva started ticking up in number of out of states taken and state legislators through a fit (threatening to enact law to fix the max percentage).

You live in virginia you have advantage over out of state students. Simple fact and understandable. Same in pretty much all states and rightfully so.

I hope your son gets in. My child got in early decision with 3.88 weighted, 1170 SAT and has sibling that is current student. Also had audition(which was definitely a hook). I had no doubt the audition would be successful but was worried about the SAT scores. So I guess the moral of the story is you just never know.

Thanks, Anne! Good to hear! And congratulations to your student. What major did they apply under? And what is an audition? Was that for music or theater?

@hokieinCO it was music. I was sweating bullets until decision day…I thought I was going to hyperventilate the day it was posted. But it’s nice to know they are not just looking at pure stats!!! Good luck!!