Chances for out-of-state vs. in-state

<p>I was wondering if it is harder/easier/same for an out-of-state student as compared to a similarly qualified in-state student.</p>

<p>I would say it is always a little harder to get in out of state just because they will obviously favor in state students. However Wisconsin takes in alot of out of state students (25% of all students I believe) So I would say as long as your stats are up there with the average UW student you have a good shot.</p>

<p>I think there is a slight edge to being OOS but that was based on last year's data. Not much difference really. Bigger edge for minority and legacy students.</p>

<p>Thanks. Well no legacy or minority here. Just dad's side of the family is from Wisconsin and are Badger fans.</p>

<p>Don't worry about that issue, you will get accepted/rejected on your merits. Spend your time on things other than second guessing chances.</p>

<p>Recent article on the topic. Judge for yourself.</p>

<p>Getting</a> in: The not-so-secret admissions process</p>

<p>The situation is it's a reach for my son. He's a B student at one of NYC's specialized high schools. Whether or not the overall difficulty of the high school factor in to anything, I really dont know. His SATs are lopsided, decent math (690), mediocre CR & WR (mid/high 500s). He will retake them. My husband insists that it's much easier for out-of-staters, although he may have gotten that idea from way back when, when he grew up in Milwaukee (40+ years ago).</p>

<p>It is a real reach, your H needs to read the article above- it was in the alumni magazine as well as on the UW website. Times have changed for everybody- UW is much more competitive now. Many of both in and out of state students who got in back then would not today, despite corrections for changes in grading and test scores. No more being in the top half of your class... Look also at the Freshman Admission Expectations chart, found via the R sidebar on the UW site- don't expect anything. The quality of the HS will not impress people in admissions- they will expect a student at a better school to be able to get the top grades just as much as at any other school. I'll bet your H is in for an eyeopener when he realizes how much things have changed since his (and my) day. There are many more disappointed students here who have good credentials. Good luck. PS- I hope your H realizes that a good fit is best, not a school where your son may feel out of his league.</p>