Chances for Purdue BME

Asian Male from a very competitive high school in California
Major: Biomedical Engineering
UW GPA: 3.61
W GPA: 3.86
SAT: 1490, 800(Math 2)
ACT: 33
Courseload: AP Physics 1, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Statistics, AP CSA, AP Calculus AB
ECs:
-Bioengineering research with well-known biotech company past summer
-VP of Medical Club
-DECA ICDC Finalist 2 years
-Track and Field Varsity(11th grade), JV(9-10)
-Volunteer as a basketball coach for local summer camps (200+ hours)
-Volunteer as robotics teacher at local summer camps (100+)
-Biology and Physics tutor
Very strong essays and LORs
TYSM :slight_smile:

Did you already apply? Regular decision gets tougher as many slots are filled in the November application window.

Some is going to depend on the strength of essays/LORs. As I mentioned elsewhere, 90% of students probably think they have well above average essays and LORs so that’s an unknown.

1490 puts you in a good spot vs. the 1421 average of last year’s enrolled class, but 3.61 is below the 3.79 average. GPA/course rigor are two of the top three criteria, typically. It’s hard to comment on course rigor - a .25 increase on weighted GPA is low in the “typical” weighting scheme, but there are many ways to weight grades.

EC’s look typical/good, though the specifics of your work last summer could drive things in your favor.

You certainly have a decent shot, but not a sure thing, IMO.

Purdue admits to a common first year engineering program. You don’t transition to your major until after freshman year.

BME was the most competitive admit last year. D had friends who were over the GPA threshold and still weren’t accepted because they were at capacity.

So you are saying I have a strong chance at acceptance but it is risky to go there because after freshman year I may not get the BME major?

I’m not saying anything about your chance of acceptance or being able to transition to BME. I’m just letting you know that there is a common FYE curriculum and a competitive transition to major.