Chances for Texas A&M Engineering

Hello, I am just wondering. What are my chances to get into Texas A&M Engineering, specifically Electrical Engineering? I am currently a high school senior.

New SAT: 1200 (560 ERW, 640 Math)

GPA: 3.92 UW, 4.16 W

8 AP Classes: AP Human Geo, AP World History, AP Chem, AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Calculus AB, AP US History, AP Spanish Language and Culture

Extracurriculars and Achievements:
-Play at least 10 hours a week of soccer competitively (USSDA Member) and travel constantly where I have gotten personal achievements such as being invited to state and national wide combines.

-Went to Samsung Mobile APP Academy

-Student of the Year (Junior Year)

• Distinguished Honor Roll

-State Cup Champion (Soccer)

Etc.

In-state?

Yes In-State

safe bet

Your rank is strong. But entry into A&M engineering and that SAT may not hold up under holistic review…so hard to know how that will play out. From the prep scholar blog:

'Let’s use Texas A&M as an example. Currently, the 75th percentile score is a 1900, the 25th percentile score is a 1560, and the 50th percentile score is a 1734. Within the 75th percentile composite score of 1900, students earned a 660 on Math, a 630 on Reading, and a 610 on Writing. This means we can estimate that the 75th percentile score for the new SAT will be 660 + (630+610)/2 = 660 + 620 = 1280. If you’re hoping to attend Texas A&M, 1280 should be your goal score on the new SAT."

Have you sat in on an engineering admissions session in your area or toured?

@carachel2 thanks for the comment I have been to an admission area and they let me know that my extracurriculars and stuff would help not only would my SAT score matter.

@soccer60 …yes, they emphasized in the info session that ECs would count for a lot too. I just wish we all had a crystal ball so we could see how MUCH all of these matters.

I’ll bet you could get that SAT up a bit so you could feel more confident. Are you going to take it again?

Yes I will give it a try again.

Maybe try the ACT too. Scores are the only thing you can improve now, but your app looks strong. Just some information, Dwight Look admits you as a general engineering student and you apply for the focus after you complete some core classes. I have a sophomore daughter there now (civil engineering) and my son just applied for engineering (electrical) I would also say get your app in early because the Engineering and Business schools fill up. It gets more and more competitive each year so we are waiting to see as well. Good luck!

@carachel2 Hello I live in Austin but UT would be hard to get in for me. I really want to go to Texas am but I am worried I might not be able to get in. What are my chances?
New SAT: 1170
ACT: 25
Top 25%
Major: First choice: Buisness
second choice: Education

• Good amount of clubs/organizations but no leadership
  • volunteered alot
  • I would rate my admission essays ( 8/10)

Howdy, I’m a current high school senior who is trying to get in to the TAMU Civil Engineering department!

-Top 8% in my class

-Sat : 1060, 1070

-Act : 22

-9 AP/Pre AP courses taken, 5 dual credit courses taken

-Over 500 volunteering hours

-Student Body Reporter

-Varsity Baseball 3 years, and a letter

-2 years in Chior

-A few teacher selected awards

-UIL member for 1 year

-Written all 3 of the required essays

Any idea on my chances? Also, is there any way to submit SAT/ACT scores after you have officially applied? My scores are clearly poor and I hope I can submit a more respectable one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks y’all.

@CarterH - I’m assuming that you are in-state. If so, you should get accepted by TAMU as a top-10 admit… However, engineering admission is determined separately from university admission. I think engineering admission would be difficult. 25% of the 2016 engineering admissions had ACT scores over 32 and 75% were over 27. Are you part of an underrepresented ethnic group? That could help.

My son will be a senior this year in engineering, so I have not stayed on top of application requirement. When my son applied in 2013, students could submit additional SAT/ACT scores after submitting their applications. Perhaps someone else could share more-current information.

Good luck to you.