Chances for the $16,000 or $20,000 Scholarships?

<p>I am very interested in UMiami, but can really only go there if I get a Dean's, Dickinson, or University Scholarship (16K, 20K, 24K respectively). </p>

<p>-Hispanic/White Male
-4.45 Weighted GPA
-3.85 UW GPA
-2000 SAT ( Hoping For a 2100+ in October, very confident I can get it, it will have been 8 months in between SATs by then)
-Mock Trial (1year), CSF (2year), NSHSS (2year), Co-Founder/Secretary of Key Club (1year), Soccer Referee (3 year Job)
-Varsity XC (1 yr captain) and Track (both since Freshman year)
-10 Hours Volunteering at Track Meets
-50+ Hours Volunteering at Police Department (Still Volunteering)
-50+ Hours Volunteering for habitat cleanups, etc.</p>

<p>Class rank? I’ve been told that’s a large factor. I got the 20k$ one and I was number 3 in my class.</p>

<p>Of the 2000 SAT, what were your Critical Reading + Math scores? They don’t count Writing at UM. You should take the SAT as many times as you can to increase your superscore. If the ACT is available to you, you should also take that. If you do well, then report it, if not, then don’t.</p>

<p>Agree with Sandrock, rank in class definitely plays a role. Check out some of the past posts in CC for UM - “accepted” threads where people list their stats for various scholarships. My D received the 24K - she had 760/760 on her SATs, 33 on ACT and was 6th in a class of 280. She also scored 5’s on 3 AP exams, with 3 in progress when she applied EA. She was invited to Singer/Stamps weekend - didn’t get either, but was awarded an additional 4K per year (Gables scholarship).</p>

<p>I don’t know how much of a role ECs play in the scholarship decisions. My D had average ECs I would say, but not excessive diversity or number of hours.
~Zinc</p>

<p>i got the 20k:</p>

<p>17/273 rank
91/100 gpa
1400 cr/m sat</p>

<p>if that helps</p>

<p>700 Math 650 Reading 650 Writing. I’m planning on getting about a 720 Math, 680 Reading, 700 Writing. My rank is 9 out of 550, top 2%</p>

<p>Great thread. My DS is same as the OP, but he is only going to be a junior. This will be more incentive for him to finish in the top 10 in his class (of close to 500) and SAT scores to aim for.</p>

<p>I can’t imagine acceptance is going to be an issue, but he will really need the merit scholarships.</p>

<p>I got the 24K plus an additional 4K at Singer/Stamps weekend:
4.0/4.0 GPA
1/280 class rank
34 ACT</p>

<p>Sunnysocal11, are you also a Foote Fellow? Those stats are amazing! Congrats and enjoy the U this year!</p>

<p>The “minimum” SAT and ACT required for invites to the full scholarship weekend are 1500 (out of 1600) or 33. This is subject to change based on a variety of factors, namely GPA, class ranks, and minority status. (That’s not racist, UM is VERY proud of the fact that we have a large minority population, but many of these students are actively recruited by schools with smaller minority populations.)</p>

<p>CanesGirl, that’s just for the full tuition, correct? Can I still get a 16K, 20K, or 24K?</p>

<p>Yeah, as the money decreases, so do the requirements. I know there’s a website with the info. I’ll find it for you.</p>

<p>[New</a> Freshmen / First Year Students | Enrollment Management | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/index.php/ug/scholarships/freshmen/#Eligibility]New”>http://www.miami.edu/index.php/ug/scholarships/freshmen/#Eligibility)</p>

<p>The above is general scholarship requirements. I still can’t find the site with the table listing total requirements.</p>

<p>yep, foote fellow & in prism. it’s going to be an interesting year :)</p>