Chances for UC/CSU for Computer Science

UW:3.78
UC/CSU GPA: 4.23
AP Classes: 2 sophomore year, 5 junior and 5 junior year ( Stats, world, computer science principles, apush , ap lang, physics 1, AP Spanish 4, gov, lit, computer science a, physics C, and Calc BC)
SAT: 1400 (770 math, 630 reading/writing)
Semi decent ECs
President of a computer science club (150+ hours dedicated)

Im applying to UCSD, UCI, UCSB, cal pomona, SDSU, and cal long beach and was wondering if i had any shot at Computer Science at these schools as the competitiveness of computer science has increased drastically in recent years. Thanks in advance!

yikes mixed up my unweighted gpa, it is a 3.87

Cal Poly Pomona, CSU Long Beach and SDSU are solid Safety/Match schools.

For the UC’s, your UC GPA makes you competitive but your SAT is a bit low for CS at UCSB and UCSD. UCI looks very possible and UCSD/UCSB slight Reach schools.

2018 UC capped weighted GPA averages and not major specific:
UCSD: 4.16
UCSB: 4.13
UCI: 4.13

25th-75th percentile and not major specific:
UCSD: 1300-1520
UCSB: 1270-1500
UCI: 1230-1490

Best of luck and you should have several options in the Spring.

Thank you for your help, i have seen you on every other forum page helping people out! and also would u recommend me retaking the SAT in december?

@Gumbymom ^^ sorry I forgot to tag you

SDSU does not accept the December sitting but for the UC’s, bumping up your scores would help.

@gumbymom in addition i was looking into SLO’s computer science program and see that it is a 5-7% acceptance rate. I was looking at the megathread last year and people got accepted with around a 4600 MCA score. Do u think its wortha shot if i have ~4600?

I think it is worth a shot but the usual MCA threshold for the College of Engineering especially CS is 4700+. Software Engineering might be a better option if you are near the 4600 mark.

@Gumbymom could you explain what a MCA threshold is? is it the average or the minimum? im at a 4630 and I really dont want to go into Software engineering so im 50/50 on it at the moment.

The MCA threshold has been a “unconfirmed” minimum point score for Engineeriing applicants in the past. Your MCA points will be compared and ranked to the other CS applicants so it is difficult to determine the actual cutoff. As SLO continues to get more highly qualified and competitive applicants, the higher the points the better position you will be in for admissions. Definitely apply just understand that a 5-7% acceptance rate makes SLO a Reach.