Chances for UCs for CS/Engineering!

SAT: 2120 (CR-660, M-800, W-660 Essay:10) CR+M (1460)
SAT II: 700 Math II

UC GPA (Capped at 8 Honors) - 4.0
9-11 UW- 3.68
9-11 W- 4.16
10-11 UW GPA- 3.69
10-11 W GPA (Uncapped)- 4.23

UPWARD Trend:

Freshman (8 A’s 4 B’s)
Sophomore (6 A’s 4 B’s 2 C’s)
Junior (13 A’s)

Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 10% (Not sure exactly how I made it LOL, maybe course rigor?)

AP (12 AP’s total (rigorous)):
Chemistry (3)
European History (3)
Calc AB (4)
Physics 1 (3) (LOL)
Spanish Language and Culture (3)
US History (4)

Senior Year Courses:
AP Computer Science
AP Gov
AP Physics C
AP Psychology
AP Calculus BC
Advanced Composition

Major Awards: None are major, but OCMC 5th place (math competition for my county).

Extracurriculars:
Summer@USC Summer Camp (Got an A in the Discover Engineering course!)
JHU CTY- Intro to Java Course
Intern at Social Security Office
Kaiser Hospice Office Intern
Mathnasium Tutor
CSF (3 Years)
Key Club (3 Years)
Spanish NHS
Taekwondo 3rd Degree Black Belt (13+ Years)
1st Place Cal State Open Taekwondo Tournament
Junior Leadership Team for Taekwondo
Taekwondo Instructor Experience (200 Hours)
Volunteer as Taekwondo Instructor (50 Hours)
Technology Director-Spanish Club
Love 2 Read (Library Reading Program)
Teen Advisory Board at Library
AP Scholar With Distinction
600+ Community service hours

Major:
UCI-CS
UCLA-Materials Engineering
UCB-L&S CS
UCSD-CS
UCSB-CS
UCD-CS

You are a strong candidate for all of them - though your UC GPA is a little light for the top schools, strong test scored and ECs should help but, for B LA and SD, it will come down to your essays.

While I think the rest will take you, UCs are finicky and essays are subjective. Don’t be surprised if one or more rejects you. I’d add Santa Cruz and Riverside just to hedge your bets.

You have a chance at all of them, but because of the major you also have the chance of getting a bunch of rejections due to the unpredictability of the admissions process. Make sure you have some other schools besides those too. I’m not trying to be discouraging, just making sure you’re realistic about the possibilities based on having gone through this once with a kid who had a higher GPA and test scores (although you have more rigor and volunteer work).

I agree with both above posters in that you are very qualified applicant but the competition for CS/Engineering is fierce. If a UC is your goal, add UCSC and UCR as good backups.

@NCalRent @youcee @Gumbymom Thanks for the responses guys! What about Cal Poly SLO or USC perhaps? Would taking the US History subject test improve my chances?

You should have the math and a science subject test for the schools where you’re applying to CS in the engineering school. Cal Poly will just as competitive if not more so than many of those UCs for CS.

Cal Poly is about as competitive as UCD, USC a little more so. Submit an ap if you like but, it is hardly hedging your bets. At this point, I don’t think a subject tests would make much difference.
Good luck.

@JimBurles2189

Just FYI (and not to bum you out) but I know of 3 SoCal kids with stronger SAT and GPA than you who did not get into any “Top 6” UCs for engineering. Comp Sci in the LibArts track is a bit less competitive if you aren’t married to getting in on the engineering school side.

As others have suggested, add UCSC (an up and coming campus in a good location for CS anyway.)

I would also try a few schools that don’t admit soly to the major, but to the engineering dept in general. Good luck. You have good stats, you’ll find a good fit, but the UCs are very tricky if you are applying to specific (usually “impacted” or highly competitive) engineering majors. You are OOS so it might be different, but if you’re paying full fare anyway, there are other very good choices in the same range that aren’t as tricky for CS/Engineering.

@CaliDad2020 thanks for the advice but I am in state, not out of state!

@JimBurles2189 yeah, not sure how I got OOS from your list!

2 quick things. Keep an eye on the Cal State app date if you are thinking SLO or Pomona, I think it’s Nov. 1 - caught a few of our friend’s kids by surprise.

Your GPA is going to be your stumbling block at the UCs, esp for engineering programs. You should probably do all you can to explain the Cs. There will not be a lot of kids accepted to engineering at UCB/UCLA/UCSD/UCSB engineering with those grades unless there’s a pretty compelling story. (One good thing, is historically UCLA has had a high - 30% or more - admit rate for Mat Eng!)

One thing we have heard (but don’t know if it is true) is to downplay any economic advantages you might have had. Really don’t know if that is true or not, but a few “in the know” folks told us that seeming too affluent can hurt you at the UCs. Hope that helps.

Actually the CSU application opens October 1 and you have until Nov 30 to submit.