Chances for UCs + Regular Round for CS

Ok. Don’t mean to play devils advocate and hope you get your wish but an ASU is likely equidistant to an SCU and closer than many others on your list which are both in the midwest and northeast.

I just thought you might be thinking ASU is lesser and I assure you it’s not.

Oops! My mistake.

From what I gathered from CS student admit stats, your 3.8 GPA may be on a lower side for the top UCs. But strong ECs and PIQs could help. My son applied to CS in 2021. So, I know how you feel. Best of luck to you!

Ok. I have pretty good PIQ’s and activities, so hoping that helps. When you say top UC’s, are you referring to UC Berkeley and LA or other ones as well? My uc weighted capped capped gpa is 4.13 and my fully weighted is around a 4.55.

Yes I meant the CS for top 5 UCs. However, the CS admit result from UCSC and Riverside should be out already. Did you apply to UCSC and Riverside? Cal early admit result is also out. My friend’s daughter got admitted to Cal (Berkeley) in engineering. She is a very exceptional young lady and I wasn’t even surprised for her early admit to Cal. Her unweighted GPA is 4.0, and I am pretty certain that her capped GPA is very high.

Since all the UCs have the holistic admission (unlike CSUs that pretty much admit on stats. CSUs does not require PIQs or explanation about the ECs), you may have a chance with the capped weight at 4.13. But my son had the capped weight GPA higher than that and he struggled to get in CS…However his ECs were very strong. One particular EC that I believe it carried him through was the depth of his involvement. I think if you could demonstrate a true interest to your intended field of study, you will have a chance even with the lower end of the GPA (if you also had an explanation why your GPA was low). Good luck!

I applied to UCSC and got in Early round for Computer Engineering (which was my first choice). I also got into Riverside. Does getting in early to SC mean anything?

I felt like my PIQ’s and descriptions of my activities were pretty detailed and showed my depth of involvement, so I’m hoping for the best. Also, I applied Computer Engineering to most of the UC’s instead of computer science (except Berkeley, where I applied EECS), but I doubt that makes much of a difference.

Sure - it means you have a great acceptance - and with less anxiety causing delays that others are having.

But no - it does not mean you’re getting in elsewhere. But it’s a great get.

2 Likes

Congratulations on your acceptances. You are a competitive applicant which has resulted into the 2 UC admits and that is all you can infer about these acceptances.

Do campuses make their admissions decisions independently from other UC campuses?
Each UC campus evaluates each application without knowing the status of the same application at another campus. In making admission decisions, campuses do not consider where you’ve applied or your admission status to other campuses. All campuses consider your application simultaneously, yet independently of all other campuses you applied to.

Best of luck for the rest of your schools.

Congrats for the admit at Riverside and SC. At least you have 2 admits for your first choice major. I think you have a shot at other UCs. However, there are students with your stats and ECs with great PIQs also, more than the spots available for CSE and Comp Eng. So, it’s also a luck too, not just the stats or qualifications. Come back and let us know you overall result.

1 Like

Got into Davis for Computer Science and Engineering! Thanks for all the support over the past few weeks. Super excited right now.

8 Likes

That is great news! :partying_face: :tada: