Chances for UCs?

I’m an international student currently in Asia. At our international school (a school that follows the American curriculum) we only have one AP. There are students who self-study for AP tests or SAT subject tests. However, I’m not confident that I can study by myself and score well on the AP/SAT subject tests.
Would it be impossible for me to be accepted into UCI (or other UCs) if I take the ACT only? I’m planning on getting at least a 30.
My ECs are pretty weak as well (president of our school’s newspaper club, received awards for playing a traditional instrument) my GPA is 3.9. I want to major in creative writing and I’m Asian (for reference)

If the tests/courses are not readily available, then you will not be penalized. AP tests are not required for admission purposes, only for college credit. SAT subject tests are recommended but not required but could make you a more competitive applicant. I suggest you look at the 2017 Freshman profiles that will be updated in August to see what stats to aim for when applying. Although GPA and test scores are important, HS rigor, Essays and EC’s all contribute to your overall application review.
http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/profiles/index.html