Chances for Wisconsin

<p>I am REALLY hoping to get accepted into UW this year. I am planning on studying Journalism and possibly Chemistry or Poly Sci as well.I am getting quite nervous about getting admitted to this amazing school.</p>

<p>My stats are as follows:</p>

<p>Gender: Male</p>

<p>Race: Caucasian</p>

<p>Residency: MN</p>

<p>GPA: UW- 3.40 (school doesn't do weighted)</p>

<p>Took a total of 6 Honors and 2 AP classes (so far)</p>

<p>Rank: ~Top 25% at highly competitive high school (Eden Prairie HS)</p>

<p>AP: U.S. Gov, Comparative Gov, Psychology</p>

<p>ACT: 27 (28 super-scored)</p>

<p>Senior Schedule: AP Lit, AP Stats, AP Euro, Spanish 5 (College Credit), Honors Physics, Concert Choir, AP Macro & Microeconomics</p>

<p>ECs: </p>

<p>-Executive Board Member for Drama Club (1st year on Board, 4 year member)</p>

<p>-Top Auditioned Choir (3 years)</p>

<p>-Auditioned Men's Acapella Group (2 years)</p>

<p>-Audition Chamber Choir (1 year)</p>

<p>-4 Musicals, 5 other productions (Been apart of Drama for all 4 years)</p>

<p>*Placed 1st at Subsections, 3rd at Sections, and 2nd at Thespian Society Competition for
our Competitive One Act.</p>

<p>-2 years of JV Lacrosse (Captain Sophomore Year)</p>

<p>-Amnesty International (1 year)</p>

<p>-Young Democrats (1 year)</p>

<p>-Various Volunteer Hours (~100 hours so far)</p>

<p>I know My GPA is rather low, but I think that I am overall well rounded.</p>

<p>Too close to call – we know 3.45 with 29 OOS rejected, rigorous curriculum etc, great ECs.</p>

<p>To improve your chances, write some excellent essays focusing specifically on the prompts; if you can get amazing teacher recs, do go ahead and ask them to submit as well. If your gpa has been on a strong upward trend, you may consider waiting to apply until first semester grades are in if that will show continued strong improvement in gpa. </p>

<p>Good luck – MN-Twin Cities is also a pretty amazing school, though I understand wanting to go somewhere new.</p>

<p>I have already applied to Minnesota, awaiting to hear the decision! Will the fact of the tuition reciprocity between Minnesota and Wisconsin give me an “upper hand” over other OOS students, or does it not particularly matter?</p>

<p>Don’t know whether being from MN, rather than any other OOS, app helps some. Looking at the admission statistics barron’s posted, the acceptance rate for instate students is 68%, for OOS students 50% and for MN 54%. But I have no experience with whether that means MN students are considered as part of a separate pool or are compared against all other OOS students.</p>

<p>Good luck, just keep up the hard work senior year!</p>

<p>Be sure to have alternates to those schools in case you get into neither. Your guidance counselor may have suggestions for other WI and MN schools where many with good stats go. UW-La Crosse and UW-Eau Claire are the two WI schools that seem to have the best student stats after UW-Madison. Not all WI HS’s weight grades- and some skip the + and - as well (including the large Green Bay school district which has many AP classes).</p>

<p>Not that good…</p>

<p>Will probably be a stretch.</p>

<p>I got in with 1780 SAT and an IB Diploma for Engineering. I think it’s because I have extremely good teacher reviews.</p>

<p>That gives me hope! I have two REALLY GOOD recommendations and my essays are pretty well constructed as well! Hopefully that will help me out a bit! Thanks for all the help!</p>

<p>I just got my acceptance email for Spring 2013 about 4 hours ago.</p>