Chances - ISS from North Carolina- S2022

Is he intending to be pre-med as a biology major? If that’s the case, I would look at the schools where he will be really comfortable academically so his grades will be high. UNC, for instance, will be a reach and then likely to be more competitive for high grades.

I wouldn’t worry about big schools and small schools being both on the list. Most kids like different things about different schools, and it’s rare for them to have lists where the schools are interchangeable.

2 Likes

I will also chime in and recommend App State. If money is a big factor then staying in state is hard to beat. Keep in mind that your son’s major is likely to change.

Of course, NC State or UNC would be awesome if he gets in but if you are from Charlotte or Raleigh then it will be tough, probably 50/50. Good luck to him! VT has a great reputation and seems to be a bit easier to get into than many similar schools. If you can make the $$ work, I would give it a very serious look.

FWIW, we are in NC too. I went to App and did very well in my career, but son was not interested and did not apply…he applied to quite a few schools and ultimately decided on GT.

My question or point was based on dad’s comments and I may have mis interpreted but I get the feeling the son loves the big school and the dad the small. That’s all.

You are correct, many lists, including both my kids have both.

Just wanted to triple check to ensure we’re meeting the student’s need. And as cost is an issue (i.e. comments on Clemson and W&M, etc.), I was proposing bigger in-state schools for that reason. That’s all.

But if the LAC path is also an acceptable option for the student - and since cost is an issue so no clue where Wofford and Furman would land - I threw out Ogelthorpe and then two publics (UNCA and CNU).

Agree with your point on schools of various sizes permeating a student’s list - but just wondering if there’s a student / dad split on school size desire. I know as parents we get giddy with one thing but our students crave another - and just wasn’t sure.

Thanks

Thank you tsbna44- I think the son in this case prefers larger, but isn’t against a smaller school or even an LAC.

This thread has provided a couple of additional options to consider- good in-state Universities especially App and UNC-W could be good fits and some LACs that may provide good value to apply during RD, since crazily we are there now.

The biggest criteria was no farther than 3 hour drive, and basic principles of ROI for schools that offer little to no merit or financial aid.

1 Like

So far the chances have been pretty spot on, unfortunately:

Ga. Tech -Arts/Science Pathway
UNC-Chapel Hill- Denied.
N.C. State- Deferred EA, First Year Life Sciences- Biology
UGA- Deferred EA
Clemson- RD,
Univ of SC -Accepted, 10K per year
Wofford - Accepted, 27K per year
Furman- Deferred EA, thinking demonstrated interest

1 Like

U of SC is fantastic and Wofford too. Maybe NC State still comes.

Seems like he likes the city. A bit farther out than G Tech would be Auburn - and three hours further(from g tech, not auburn) Alabama. Neither big city - auburn a nicer city, maybe not campus although it’s nice). At Bama you’d be low 20s with auto merit. In the other direction, not obscenely far would be a WVU.

If you can afford U of SC then it’s great. He’s done. If NC State comes through then it’s icing on the cake.

How about a school - not sure if too late - like ECU or Ga Southern ?

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions and we have had kids from our area go to both Auburn and Alabama and they love it- it seems like he spent, and ready to choose on U of SC, or Wofford. I don’t think he is wanting to continue to remain uncertain. And we as the parents are not keen on sending a then recent 17 year old that far away from home. Maybe this is the good part of early action kicking in, and also really liking your safeties (if there are any)?

2 Likes

Well keeping fingers crossed for NC State. He prefers the big (at least noted b4) and U of SC is a really nice campus and I’m sure lots of opportunities. But I’m sure Wofford too. Furman seemed to defer a lot this year so maybe they’ll still come and if they do it will be with merit. They need to discount to get butts in seats.

He may decide soon but unless you withdraw he may not be done :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks tsbna44, it will work out. NC State is excellent, but I think him not taking Calculus may have had a role in the deferral- he took Pre-Calc and IB Math Applications, but State is a STEM so they do have these recommendations that are important for their colleges.

2 Likes

Crazily my son got into UGA out of state.

For anyone that may know- do you know how UGA treats EFC for an out of state student, will they attempt to meet some of the gap b/w the cost and the EFC? or none of the gap?

For reference, he has not received any merit for UGA, yet.

Thank you

1 Like

Also to help others, here is a more recent update:

UNC-Chapel Hill- Denied.
N.C. State- Deferred EA, First Year Life Sciences- Biology, still waiting until 3/31 for final decision
UGA- Deferred EA, now Accepted; no mention of merit
Clemson- Denied.
Univ of SC -Accepted, now added an additional amount, 17K per year
Wofford - Accepted, 27K per year plus 6K in financial aid.
Furman- Deferred EA, thinking demonstrated interest, so pulled the application.

2 Likes

I would ask UGA financial aid - but judging from their page on grants, it doesn’t appear so - and if you got $6K from Woford, you might not be at a qualifying level anyway.

Great gets - with where he has gotten into is he leaning toward U of SC or Wofford - obviously big vs. small. I assume - but don’t know - that Ga Tech is out - given it’s not a four year experience.

He’s got great options.

No idea if UGA gives merit to deferred - but if you got the half OOS that is most common, would it impact the decision?

Does your son like the campus size of UGA vs. the smaller and more urban U of SC? My daughter preferred U of SC and UGA was one of the first acceptances she eliminated. Yours may be otherwise - but you might rank UGA/U of SC head to head and see who wins - without the money. If U of SC would win, then merit / grants at UGA won’t matter. If UGA wins, then of course it’s different. I would imagine you’ll be full pay there but it’d be best to call financial aid on any possible grants (just in case).

Good luck.

Grants | Undergraduate | Types of Aid | Office of Student Financial Aid (uga.edu)

It comes down to ROI, I think at this point so that’s why we are very curious about UGA and financial aid. I don’t think it makes sense for Biology or Psychology to pay 10K more for a UGA versus as U of SC or a Wofford. And we are dealing with an 18 year old that may change his major (like most people) anyway.

We had not visited UGA yet, because I honestly didn’t think he’d get in. I like that it is a school where there is a healthy blend of core college courses and your major. But that’s the same at U of SC and he is capstone which is hokey, but I think the cohort is a good one- smart kids that aren’t all about academics- they have hobbies, jobs and a social life.

I think the only college to meet our EFC so far has been Wofford, so maybe this is the best option anyway?

You need to pick one…not come up with sales pitches for each :slight_smile:

Go to UGA. It’s very different. Much more spread out than U of SC.

1 Like

This is true! Thank you for the feedback on it!

1 Like

I’m there may disagree but doing Columbia and Athens back to back - they are very different.

My daughter had a clear preference for one.

Btw what’s super cool to me about UGA is how they wedge the stadium into campus. It’s smack there.

To my daughter and she strongly preferred Columbia but UGAs selling point and y she applied in part was they had an urban outfitters. Go figure.

1 Like

We’re done- apparently the state of nc does not like us so we’re heading south😀

UNC-Chapel Hill- Denied.
N.C. State- Deferred EA, First Year Life Sciences- Denied
UGA- Deferred EA, now Accepted; no mention of merit
Clemson- Denied.
Univ of SC -Accepted, now added an additional amount, 17K per year
Wofford - Accepted, 27K per year plus 6K in financial aid.
Furman- Deferred EA, thinking demonstrated interest, so pulled the application.

I am struggling to understand flat denials at our flagships but entry into Georgia and U of SC and Wofford - the latter with very good merit.

I’m counting it as a blessing, I guess😉

1 Like

Where’s he leaning between Wofford and SC?

When you read back on other posters it seems like it makes sense.

Maybe not in at UGA but that was a deferral. And maybe Furman but you pulled out b4 you know.

U of SC is a great school. I’m guessing Wofford is too.

My kid didn’t go to U of SC - was her #2. But given she dropped UGA with Honors early…I’m sure others at SC got into other harder to get into schools too.

Love the two that loves you. The in state schools in NC - very difficult. U of SC hits that cost. And why dwelll on what isn’t.

Get jacked for what is !!

1 Like

We’re a Wofford family but my middle, wants a big change so I think its UGA or U of SC. With my preference being the latter b/c of the smaller cohort with capstone.

I think his preference is UGA but it is going to likely cost more. Wofford is the cheapest option, but very close in price to U of SC.

1 Like

Dad veto if needed.

Did you set an upfront budget ? I eliminated some on my daughter bcuz of it. I didn’t even eliminate them. She knew they were gone automatically bcuz she knew the rules.

They are similar in many ways but different in campus environment. Both nice but U of SC not as sprawling.

Lay out the costs and four year price differential. He’ll come around :slight_smile:

1 Like