Chances of a URM :)

<p>GPA-3.55-3.6 UW?
ACT/SAT: 20(ACT) - ???(SAT)I have not taken the SAT
ECs:</p>

<p>Band:
9th-Marching Band, 3rd Chair Concert Band
10th-Marching Band, 1st & 2nd Chair Concert Band(Kept alternating)
11th-Marching Band, Section Leader, 1st Chair Concert Band
12th- Marching Band, Section Leader, I do not know what chair I will get in Concert Band because it's Marching Band season now.</p>

<p>NHS - 10th, 11th, 12th</p>

<p>I work at Chick-Fil-A(Mmmmmmm, I could go for some right now!) around 20+ hours per week.</p>

<p>Band Awards/Recognitions:
Most Outstanding - 11th grade
Halftime Field Solo - 10th, 11th, 12th(I am getting one this year!)
Solo & Enesemble - 15 medals (solos, duets, + 2 enesembles)</p>

<p>I have been selected for.......
Montevallo Honor Band
University of North Alabama Honor Band
University of Alabama Honor Band
Gadsen State Honor Band</p>

<p>I'm a black male who goes to a public Alabama High School.</p>

<p>I know that my ACT is VERY LOW, but I am going to take it and the SAT once more in the fall and possibly apply early. Besides the fact that my act score is low, do I even have a chance? </p>

<p>That's all for now, let me know on my chances.</p>

<p>HGTRUMPET,
I see no one answered your question, so I'll give it a shot to try to help. I think your EC's are fine, (you have basically the same EC's as my son did...job, school, NHS, etc., and his UW was 3.9). I think however that raising your ACT/SAT is going to be key here, especially if you are looking at receiving any merit aid. Word out of UM is that they have had a very large number of kids decide to attend this year and the incoming freshman class will be unusually larger than normal, so I expect the SAT/ACT scores to rise again accordingly. You didn't mention what your projected major will be, so you might be able to get some more info off the umiami.edu site. Each major usually has a page which gives basic stats that admitted students in each program have. (i.e....certain programs obviously are more popular and therefore have higher numbers.) </p>

<p>Best wishes and good luck to you. Hopefully if you work hard and raise those scores some, you will indeed become a Cane. </p>

<p>TCM</p>