Chances of Acceptance to Engineering?

Hello,
I am a female, white high school junior. I want to major in computer science at TAMU. I am in the top 3% of my class, ranking at #17. I have a GPA of 3.53 with AP and DC classes. I know I am automatically accepted to TAMU b/c I’m in the top 10% and am graduating under DAP. But engineering is not guaranteed. What do you think my chances are of getting into the engineering program at TAMU? Are most people with similar credentials successful? How rigorous is the comuter science track at TAMU?
Thanks!

Have you taken an SAT? or ACT?

Hey I am a Junior trying to get into A&M engineering (Mechanical, Civil, or Comp sci) Here is some help.

You’ve only showed 1/3 of the things needed for admission… but I guess technically less then 1/3rd without the test scores. But… your base academics are great and you can give yourself a good chance to get admitted.

Yes because they didn’t need to try if they were in the top 10%. Now you need to try so it isn’t possible to guess if your credentials are great yet.

*** What to do ? ***

• Academic *
    Junior year is perfect! Try to prep yourself to take the SAT and / or ACT this June, and again in September.(I advise the ACT since the SAT scores have been coming in slowly lately) and apply by October 15. And they might consider how many AP / DC classes you’ve taken (They don’t mention gpa or class choice up there)

• Personal Achievement *
    So (if you SAT / ACT scores are good) you just need more personal achievements. Do you have any? Do you have any long term commitments? (like 3-4 years of a sport or club?) It doesn’t need to be Engineering related (but that would help)? You can start a comp sci club and compete in Academic UIL or Technology Student Association . Seeing you started up a club will look good on an application.

• Essay *
    … good luck. Try to write them over the summer along with a resume and spend the first few weeks of school looking for letters of recommendation. Online it says it won’t help alot, but every part counts.

http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/apply-engineering
https://engineering.tamu.edu/easa/areas/recruitment/admissions

I found out this year by my college adviser and an admissions person that are hired by TAMU but work at our high school. If you are top 10% then you will get into any major that you want even engineering. I am a senior right now and am literally the last person in my class in the top 10%. My GPA is a 3.0 and got into engineering. Because now they don’t accept you into a specific engineering, everyone gets into general engineering with a preference. After your first year, then you apply for your the type of engineering you want. The only thing that matters is that as long as you submit your application around Oct or early Nov, then you have a good chance of getting in. Thats the time that engineering usually fills up. So just apply early and you’ll be sure to get in. :slight_smile:

That’s how it was this year. Next year engineering is going completely review vs last year 75% auto 25% review. The top 10% now only garuntees you into the university not your major