Chances of acceptance

<p>New member here wondering what my chances are for UM.</p>

<p>Just finished Junior year at elite/top private school in Massachusetts.
Class rank top 10%
GPA-Not weighted
Fresh-3.2 (4 honors courses)
Soph-3.03 (2 honors)
Junior-3.19(2 honors)
Senior-Projected 2 AP and 1 honors</p>

<p>SAT-First and only time so far
670M, 570CR, 650W, 10 essay
1890 combined
Baseball (V), basketball, soccer, techincal programming, swimming, community service, worked for three years</p>

<p>Will have great reccomendations and very good essay(s)</p>

<p>Also, what do people suggest doing in order to get my SAT scores up? i tried using a book with practice tests before the first one but it didn't work to well</p>

<p>anyways, just let me know if i have any chance at all. lol, thanks in advance</p>

<p>First of all, I think you have a good shot at being admitted. But a scholarship may be hard to get. You really need to get the SAT's up and try to get your GPA up a bit too. Stay in your top 10% of your class is really important and the SAT's seem to be the other main criteria for a scholarship as well. Miami is giving out a ton of money to attract top students to help improve their rep and results to raise their standing natioanlly. But this also creates much stiffer competitio for both admittance and for academic scholarships as well.</p>

<p>Just keep taking the SAT's, each test is a bit different, Miami will take the top grade in each area. Keep doing the books, for the math part make sure you really understand and memorize algebraic, geometric, trig, and calc formulas and know how to use them, at least to get answers quickly that will allow you to narrow down the responses on a question to 2 choices to give you a better shot at getting it right. Learn the tricks from the books to help you do this.</p>

<p>thanx a lot. I was not really planning on recieving any scholarships anyways so that comes to no surprise for me. I would love if i could get accepted to UM. Anyone else please give your opinion.</p>

<p>Keep your class standing, get your GPA up a little bit this coming year and get your math/verbal SAT up to at least a 1350 (keep your writing where it is) and you'll have a great shot at the 1/3 scholarship I think based on what i saw of the criteria this year.</p>

<p>If UM is your first choice why not apply early decision? I think it increases your chances. My son got in that way.</p>

<p>i probably will apply ED</p>

<p>I have a lot of reaches on my list but what wopuld be a match for me?</p>

<p>Probably a Biology Major</p>

<p>African American
3.7 uw GPA 4.2 w
Hardest Courseload</p>

<p>I figure i can get into Michigan,Maryland, UMBC, Elon, Hampton and Virginia Tech and that my reaches are cornell, Princeton, UVA and UNC
ACT:30</p>

<p>Maryland Resident</p>

<p>School doesnt rank</p>

<p>Ec's:
National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine....I was invited back as a leader
SPanish Club...Secretary
Multicultural Student Alliance..Secretary
Alpha Phi Alpha Leadership Conference
1 of 2 slected Members selected to be on School accrediation comittee
TracK and Field
100 hours of community service tutoring children
National Honor Society
Spanish Honors Society
Job at grocery store as Cashier 15 hours a week during school year for a year
Yearbook CLub
National Honor Role
Who's Who Amongst american high school students
De LaSalle Scholars Program -$6000 annually i get to go to my private school</p>

<p>some other stuff i cant remeber right now</p>

<p>Goodcolleges, you're a shoo in.</p>

<p>ok cool..thanx</p>