Chances of admission to chemical engineering?

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I am a junoir in high school and I am looking to attend Texas A&M for chem eng. I am also looking at Texas Tech and UT. I now UT it very hard to get into and Tech is more of a back up. I have looked everywhere but can't seem to find stats on admissions into the chemical engineering program. I was wondering what my chances are of being admited.</p>

<p>ACT:27 (28 on math if that helps)
SAT:1160 CR and math
SAT total:1660
I stil have a year to raise these.</p>

<p>Class rank:17/301 5.6%
3.6 GPA unweighted
4.6 weighted</p>

<p>AP Calc
AP Eng
Ap Chem
Dual credit US history</p>

<p>Varsity in baseball and football. NHS member.</p>

<p>Hmm. Greeting! I, an incoming Freshman, am on route to become a Chemical Engineer. Your ACT looks decent (I made a 27 composite, but 35 on math (I was not prepared at all for this test - I had no idea science was even on it, and I only took it once). Your SAT is lacking; 1300+ for CR and Math helps (I made 760 on math). I’d say definitely re-test on either ACT, SAT, or both… (I was more SAT-based, so I focused on that) Your rank, % wise, is fine and dandy; I don’t quite understand what 4.6 weighted is (since schools have different weighted GPA systems), but I am assuming from your course list that your school is not the most competitive, or maybe doesn’t offer all that many AP classes as mine does (I took 1 AP in 9th, 1 in 10th, 6 in 11th, and 6 in 12th - so 14 AP classes total.) I, personally, am rank 1/530+ (GRADUATING IN 2 WEEKS!! WHOOP!), but I know people who are going to A&M and have been accepted into engineering who are in similar standings to you. </p>

<p>Take a nice load of AP/DC classes next year, continue being active in sports (kudos by the way, I did not take part in sports but I know they take up a lot of time) and volunteering activities, and re-take those ACT/SAT (perhaps you can study them over the summer - I wish I had - and take them your senior year). Really, though, from my stand point, learning the math in the SAT shouldn’t be too hard, and if you think chemical engineering is for you, you should be able to do well on the math section.</p>

<p>Assuming you stay in top 10% for the end of this year and apply as soon as the application opens up you’re in for the engineering program. Your SAT could be better (A&M COE avg this last year was 1277, avg math was 667) but it’s good enough to get in. You’ll have to perform your freshman year and earn the spot in Chemical for your major for your sophomore year. Engineering hit their rolling acceptance in November last year. Expect it to fill sooner this year so definitely be ready to pull the trigger when Apply Texas opens up. BTW, UT has auto-admit for top 7% so you should be good there as well.</p>