Chances of Admission to UW Madison?

I’m currently a high school junior, and UW Madison is pretty high on my list of prospective colleges. What are my chances with:

Unweighted 3.7 GPA
Weighted 4.1 GPA
30 ACT

English & History Honors Society Member, Youth & Government Member, DMMV (Local Service Club) Member

In state resident, or out of state? In state, you are solid match – could be postponed in first round but likely admitted in spring. Out of state almost certainly postponed early round, could go either way in spring.

Looks good. Junior year is the last year colleges will see so it is important that you do your best. Rising grades this year will be impressive. Hopefully you are taking many of the most rigorous classes available to you. Plan to retake the ACT spring of your junior year for an even better score.

When figuring out colleges be sure to discuss family finances with your parents. You cannot count on scholarship money from UW.

I would think coming from a desirable out of state county would make it easier to get in than in state? But all these threads are indicating otherwise??

OOS is a tougher admit at most state flagships, including UW. A large part of UW’s mission is to serve the people of the state of Wisconsin, including its students.

That said, I imagine a 3.9/35 OOS applicant tends to have better chances than a 3.4/24 in-stater. But with similar stats, an in-state applicant has better chances than an OOS applicant.

Also- a “desirable county” OOS may not be any better than most instate counties. Most have inflated ideas about their hometowns. Traditionally Wisconsin has offered excellent public education just about everywhere (sadly, Milwaukee may be an exception). One does not have to live in a rich suburban county to be taught how to think and learn well.

Remember, a student is expected to make the most of what is available to them. If many AP’s are available, take them and DO WELL in them. Students are not penalized for not having such opportunities. Getting lesser grades in tough classes does not mean a person is better educated than someone with A’s in nonAP classes.

Ditto the instate trumps OOS with similar credentials. Even if less state money is given to state U’s they still have the mission to educate the state’s students. Wisconsin is fortunate to have a top U that others are willing to pay a premium to attend rather than their own flagship U.