Chances of Entering UC with an F

Hi guys.

So I applied to UCR, UCI, UCB, UCSD, and UCLA. However, I’m not sure whether I’ll get in or not. Throughout high school, my grades have been mostly A’s and few B’s with the exception of a C. My GPA is good, but I got an F this semester. I was really impacted this year in my schedule so I wasn’t able to catch up with the work in my AB Calc class, leading to the F.

I thought that the F would drop my GPA by a lot but it wasn’t too bad. I was ranked 19/556 kids but now I’m 21/556 kids, so my rank is still in good position. My GPA weighted is 4.4 and unweighted it’s 3.6, so it doesn’t seem like the F hurt me and the rest of my grades are A’s in IB classes. (Doing full diploma btw).

I do know that an F looks bad however. I dropped the class and switched into Financial Literacy (a-g approved class). I have reported this to the colleges. What are my chances guys?

UC’s can and will rescind for an F. You need to contact UC admissions with the following information:

Freshmen: If you change schools, add or drop a course, or fail to earn a C or better in a course after you submit your application, you must notify the UC Application Center by email or postal mail. Your correspondence must include your name, UC Application ID number and your signature (if you mail a letter), and will be available to all the campuses to which you applied.

If you receive an offer of admission, be sure to confirm with the campus admission office that they are aware of the deficient grade or schedule changes. Although you must notify the campus of these changes, we cannot guarantee that a campus can go back to review an application after correspondence has been received. Make sure to save a copy of your correspondence just in case.

Email: docs@applyUCsupport.net

Postal mail:

UC Application Center
P.O. Box 1432
Bakersfield, CA 93302

As long as you already have 3 years of math you might theoretically be OK. You can not have any D’s or F’s out of your required A-G courses unless they are validated in another way. (http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/freshman/minimum-requirements/index.html)

If you got an F in English I’d say you were dead in the water unless you were able to retake the class somehow. (Say online) Sine it’s AP Calc taken senior year as long as you have 3 year of H.S. math it might not matter too much. It will depend on the school. And yes it will be a knock against you but it might not making it impossible. I’d say the higher ranked schools will care more.

This page on the UC admissions talks about “Validation” of courses but I don’t think they apply in this case.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/q-and-a/validation/

What major were you applying in? This might matter.

@curiositycat333 and @IBkidonthestreet

You are accepted into the UC’s as a provisional admit, so that means for all the UC’s (except UCLA/UCB) you need to maintain a 3.0 weighted GPA with no D’s or F’s. For UCLA/UCB, you need a 3.0 unweighted GPA with no more than 2 C’s and no D’s or F’s Senior year.

Yes, an F is something to be concerned about.

You are at risk for being rescinded, especially as they confirm decisions with huge numbers of students looking to get into the UCs. Read what @Gumbymom has posted.^^^

@“aunt bea” @Gumbymom @curiositycat333 I have notified all of my schools already of this schedule change and low grade. I already know that UCB will most likely not accept me, and UCLA perhaps will not as well. I applied to Biology as my major and I’m hoping that I have a chance with UCI.

Good luck to you and hope for the best.

What she said^^^^^^.

Thank you all.