Chances of getting accepted into Andover

hey. I just wanted to check this forum out. I applied to Andover this year and the decision is coming out in literally 5 days TT. I’m so nervous right now and I wanted to see what everyone thinks my chance of getting accepted is.
Stats:
Straight A’s: 4.0 GPA

ECs:
Gymnastics, debate and regional writing awards. I like ballet and also volunteered as a debate coach for younger students. I also founded a club in my school where we can introduce to students and reached out to other outside organizations for fundraisers, etc.

@skieurope , can this be moved to the prep school forum?

2 Likes

Done

3 Likes

It still shows up under College Admissions for me.

2 Likes

Sounds you are a perfect students to any prep school! Why worry so much? Just wait patiently for another 4 days. Good luck

1 Like

Ahhhhh. Thank you so much- I’m just really nervous since I really like the school

1 Like

Why didn’t you take the SSAT? From your stats it sounds like you would have killed it…

I decided to apply to andover in mid-December. because it was so last-minute I felt like I didn’t have enough time to study and prep for the test :(( If I knew i would be applying earlier I would definitely have taken the test. Also, during the December-period I had a lot of debate tournaments to prepare for so that took up a lot of my time.

1 Like

BTW, do you think me not taking the SSAT affected my application in any way? Did it severely reduce my chances of getting in?

No idea. It’s not supposed to. My DS ended up taking it cold on Jan 13. He called all his schools to make sure they would take a late test and they said no prob. For us, it was just one more data point and he wanted to leave no stone unturned. What does the Andover website say?

1 Like

They say that it doesn’t really affect my score/chances; however, Idk. Some schools will say stuff they don’t mean ifykyk.

2 Likes

SSAT is optional for Andover I believe.

@strawberrymilk00 there are kids here who gained admission to Andover without submitting SSAT scores, and kids who scored in the 99th percentile who were not admitted. You sound like a very capable young lady who would be a wonderful addition to any school. Be proud of all you have accomplished! Getting that application in in such a tight time frame while juggling many other things was no mean feat either! Wishing you the best on 10 March! :sparkles:

1 Like

wow, thank you so much. That really boosted my self-esteem, haha. I really appreciate the support! :)))

“gymnast for 10 years…, qualifying for the junior Olympics”
And 4.0GPA. Why would you worry at all?

1 Like

why wouldn’t I?

Everyone worries, and with good reason.

Every year there are applicants who post fantastic stats and ECs who get in nowhere…

…But there are also applicants who don’t claim to be superhuman, and yet somehow get into one or more HADES.

Conclusions:

1. What’s outlined here doesn’t capture the full impact of many applications,
  2. What AOs are looking for just might not be what many applicants think that they’re looking for,
  3. It’s reasonable to worry.

@strawberrymilk00 , I have no idea how strong your overall application was. If Andover is the only place you applied to, then you have really limited yourself. Although you are a strong student, there are a lot of strong students applying to Andover every year.

Don’t despair if you don’t get in! You still have options. <3

8 Likes

You have the highest GPA possible. And you have nearly the highest sport achievement. Unless your teacher recommendations said you were super mean to others in school. I can’t see any reason you get rejected. If I were you, I’d be relaxed. If a BS rejects you, it’s their loss!

Wow, thanks everyone TT This is really helping me sm. I got so nervous the other day I barely could sleep… this advice was so helpful and it was something I really needed to hear.

I think you sound like a great candidate, but gymnastics is tough, no boarding schools have competitive gymnastics teams anymore (even when I was a student at Thayer in the 90s, I was a gymnast and only 3 or 4 independent schools had teams, we mostly competed against public schools). DId you discuss your options for continuing your gymnastics training with Andover? Or are you willing to give that up to participate in other sports on campus? Just something to think about before you make your decision, coming from someone who had to make similar decisions in the past!

2 Likes