Chances of getting accepted to Texas A&M?

I applied on 7/14. my sat is an 1190 620 math 570 english. act composite 25 math 29 science 24 english 24 reading 23 (i had higher sub scores on other tests for english but this is my highest composite) i am 43 out of 244 students with a 99.7 gpa. i am in National Honor society, i have directed retreats at my church, i have work experience in a nursing home, and i have over 200 volunteer hours in my high school career. i applied as a BIMS major. i have taken 3 dc and ap classes and am currently taking 4 more. Any opinions if I have a chance at getting in?

@TRAUGOTT7 Bims is highly competitive and fills up fast with auto and academic admits. Last year there were students with much higher test scores that ended up getting PSA (soft denial/but alternative offer). Your ranking is decent but test scores are low. Most students are NHS. Your other ECs and volunteer hours are great and shows you have a passion for helping others. I hope you get the answer you want, but if you don’t, just remember that it’s not where or how you start, but where and how you finish! Best of luck.

I also applied for BIMS with a 1260 and extracurriculars as well as NHS but after reading this should I just go for something like psychology?

I thought about changing my major too, but I think I am going to leave mine. I knew a kid that got accepted into biology with a 1240 sat and he was in top 25%. This was two years ago but still. I have my 2nd major as biology so I am hoping if I don’t get BIMS maybe they will accept me with Bio.

@AggieMomhelp Do you know if BIMS is full currently? Also do you think if they don’t want me for BIMS they could accept me with biology?

@traugott7 if they accept you and BIMS is full, they will move you into 2nd choice major. Last year though many bims went straight into Psa. @jaceyk can give you some intel on this.

@traugott7 Hi - I don’t have much to offer in the way of numbers or status of admissions to BIMS program, but I do have experience of what happened to my son. He applied last year with BIMS #1 and Public Health #2 - his stats were top 12%, 29 ACT (met minimum in both Math and ELA with 28s in each) - he was actually 0.25 points away from 29.5 (which would have been academic admission). He had the extracurriculars and I believe about 18 hours of DC and 3-4 AP classes. He was offered PSA in March.

Even though they told us that they don’t look at majors, we read about so many BIMS applicants being turned away with similar stats as my son. Same for Public Health. We believe that these majors are rising in popularity and are rapidly filled up by auto/academic admits (much like Mays and Viz). AND I read somewhere (in more than one place) that TAMU has the #8 BIMS undergrad program in the US so that definitely ramps up competition.

While BIMS is NOT a PSA major, my son was still offered PSA and had to choose another major to continue this path. He is currently at TAMU CC as a biochemistry PSA major with the full intention of being at the cstat campus Fall 2020. I believe he will continue the same path my daughter is taking now at TAMU - I think he will also continue the biochemistry path at TAMU. He’s doing very well carrying a 4.0 into finals week (starts this Saturday for him).

Even if offered PSA - it’s just an alternate route with the same destination and finish. We are currently looking into houses for him to rent with my daughter starting Aug 2020 and he cannot be more excited!

Thanks @jaceyk I knew you would have some great info for us. Thanks and so happy your son is doing so well!!! = )

I just posted some stats in a separate thread. But looking at
https://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/Apply-Admit-Enroll-Sum-All-Fa19-incl-Galveston.aspx for Public Health - it looks like 864 applied, 466 were admitted and 188 enrolled. I think that is about 52% admitted. But with only 466 spots - that was likely filled mainly with auto and academic admits.