Chances of getting approved for in-state if already attending as out-of-state after first year (SC)?

Hey all

My daughter starts her first year at Clemson University this fall and is attending as an out of state student. I am currently in the midst of a divorce and have considered moving to SC to not only be a little closer to her, but also to possibly take advantage of the in-state costs. I’m fully aware of the rules ie. you must live there for 12mos. And from what I’ve read, they know and frown upon if you’ve specifically moved there to take advantage of the in-state costs. But it is done apparently on case-by-case basis. The only thing I found that seems like they would not approve is based on this clause on SC law:

SC Regulation 62-605.
A. Resident status may not be acquired by an applicant or student while residing in South Carolina for the primary purpose of enrollment in an institution or for access to state-supported programs designed to serve South Carolina residents. An applicant or student from another state who comes to South Carolina usually does so for the purpose of attending school. Therefore, an applicant or student who enrolls as a nonresident in an institution is presumed to remain a nonresident throughout his or her attendance and does not qualify under any of the residency provisions.

I’ve also read that if a parent is relocated because of work, then this can go in your favor. So it’s possible I could get something in writing from my employer to show why I was relocated to SC.

Does anyone know much about this, have done something similar, or researched it enough to tell me whether there’s any chance of getting approved?

Thanks!

Pretty specific circumstances - would suggest giving Admissions or Registrar at Clemson a call. I would play it like I WAS being relocated for work and ask what documentation they would need.

If you’re in a surrounding state already it’s completely understandable that your employer might relocate you there for one reason or another. If you’re currently located far away I could see them being dubious.

Also, if there is merit or aid that was given as an OOS student I would expect them to want to re-evaluate that.

1 Like

I’d ask on a Clemson parent Facebook page. It seems so many Clemson parents purchase housing and they don’t get in state tuition for that, but some do relocate there permanently. Good luck (we are OOS with a rising junior tiger).

Thank you! I joined the FB group so will look around there. Go Tigers! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the info, this is good to know.

Overall, I have seen residency approved when the parent guardian is moving into South Carolina for employment- everyone is hiring here. Documenting you no longer have residency in the other state is helpful, but they understand joint custody, etc… They may look at who is claiming the student for tax purposes.

They do not approve a student as a resident after a year of enrollment when their parent/guardian is in another state.