Chances of getting into a UC school?

I am a very competitive student, but this semester I got a B in my dual credit biology class. Every other grade I have ever gotten has been an A, and I always take honors or AP classes. My parents tell me that there is no chance for me now to get into my dream school. I got a 29 on my ACT, I play 5 instruments, have been working since I turned 16, and I am a military child that has moved all over. I worry that I’m not competitive enough already with my lack of sports background. My goal is to get into ucla or ucsd, and then to move on to law school. Please be honest, is this B going to ruin my chances? I’m trying to convince my parents otherwise.

@College2019yay: Welcome to College Confidential

One B will not keep you out of the UC’s but the GPA is not evaluated in a vacuum so your HS course rigor, your EC’s, Essays and test scores will all be considered in your application review. Your GPA sounds competitive and your EC’s look good. ACT will need to be bumped up and what do you plan to study?

So after Junior is completed, you need to calculate your UC GPA: https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

You need to post your UW UC GPA, Capped weighted UC GPA and Fully weighted (uncapped) UC GPA.

Here is some statistical data to help you compare your stats to last years in-coming Freshman. The data below is not major specific and the GPA ranges are based on the capped weighted UC GPA. No one chance you accurately accept UC admissions, so apply widely and identify one to two safety schools that you are willing to attend and have a very high chance for an acceptance.

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19:

UCB: 12.6%
UCLA: 11.7%
UCSD: 38.7%
UCSB: 53.6%
UCD: 56.5%
UCI: 52.1%
UCSC: 75.7%
UCR: 90.1%
UCM: 96.1%

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above:

UCB: 42.7%
UCLA: 47.2%
UCSD: 84.2%
UCSB: 82.0%
UCD: 90.3%
UCI: 94.1%
UCSC: 92.7%
UCR: 97.5
UCM: 98.1%

25th - 75th percentiles for ACT:
UCB: 30-34
UCLA: 30-34
UCSD: 29-34
UCSB: 28-33
UCD: 26-32
UCI: 26-32
UCSC: 26-31
UCR: 23-30
UCM: 20-27

Best of luck and if you have any more questions, please post them on CC. You are doing fine so do not let anyone tell anything else.

one b won’t stand in your way anywhere.