Chances of getting into Texas A&M University?

Hello! I’m currently a junior in high school. I’m applying to A&M as an animal science major and I want to get an idea of my chances at being accepted.
Here’s my information.

I’ve taken 3 PreAP classes and will be taking an AP class next year. I’ll have all of the required coursework by the end of my senior year. Most of my electives have been animal related and I’ve done well in them.

I have a 3.6 weighted GPA and I’m 310/688 in my class.

I haven’t taken the SAT or ACT yet, but I will be taking both in the next two months.
My PSAT score was 1140 out of 1600 last year (590 RW, 550 Math) I’ve been scoring around 1300 on the practice tests out of the prep books I’ve been studying.
I’m not sure it matters, but I’ve taken and passed the TSI.

I’ve made mostly As, some Bs, and 2 Cs since freshman year.

I’ve actively participated in FFA since the beginning of freshman year. I was on my school’s girl’s varsity basketball team during freshman and sophomore year. I’ve been in technical theater since last year.

I currently have about 50 volunteer hours, and will have close to 400 by the deadline for admissions.

I’ve kept a job since June of 2016 and have been employee of the month twice, though I haven’t been officially promoted.

Thank you very much to everyone who takes the time to read this and respond. :slight_smile:

With a second quarter rank (45%) you would be in the review admit category. 50% of the decision is based on rank & scores and the other 50% is everything else on the application ( essays, EC, awards, jobs,etc). Vast majority of TAMU admits are in the first quarter but there are always those that rock the stats. I would do all you can to get very high SAT/ACT scores (review courses-Khan academy online is free, tutors, etc) to help balance a 2nd quarter ranking. Keep a good record of your achievements & awards, submit two recommendations and write compelling essays. If there is a reason for your lower rank, be sure to mention it. It is a reach for full admit here, but there are alternate pathways as well. Be sure to also apply to a backup school that you also love. Best of luck to you!

@alexbw you asked for an opinion of your chances for admission to TAMU. Here is my opinion. Your class rank is pretty low and your SAT needs to be in the high 1300s to have a chance. There are definitely students with similar scores that do get admitted but they are very very few from what I understand. The admissions process is just very competive. My son’s friend was top quarter with an ACT of 25 and did not get admitted. My son had another friend that was top quarter with an SAT lower than 1280 and received Blinn Team co - enrollment. THe good news is that if you want to be an Aggie there are several different pathways to get to College Station after just one year. My son was top 38% and 1280 SAT and was not admitted. Was offered PSA. He will be attending the Engineering Academy at Blinn Brenham and transition i after the first year. Oh yeah, Do everything that AGmomx2 said.

Right now, your stats are below average for Texas A&M. You would need an unweighted GPA of 3.55 and an SAT score of 1250 to be in the average range. You’ll definitely want to really study for your SAT. A&M would be a reach school. Your chances, according to Prepscholar is about 33%. It’s certainly worth applying, but you’ll need some good match/safety schools. If you can bring up the SAT score, Texas Tech and UH are a match. Your stats are also solid for UTSA and Texas State.