Chances of Getting into Texas A&M

I am a junior in high school and very nervous about college. I am ranked 359/1100, making me in the top 32%. I have a 3.8 on a 4.0 scale and a 4.4 on a 6.0 scale. I got a 29 on my ACT and haven’t yet received my SAT scores back. I also am involved in many after school circulars, varsity volleyball and I’ve been lifeguarding for two years. I just want to know if I have a chance to get in.

@tryintobehopeful if you were applying this year, most likely you would not have gotten full acceptance; maybe PSA. The transcript you submit with your application will be at the end of your junior year, so you need to finish strong and hope you can drastically bump up your class rank. This year, many students with 10.3-12% class ranks didn’t get in, plus high test scores. Rumor has it next year will be as tough, or tougher, to get in.

@tryintobehopeful 29 is a good ACT score, and you also have time to study and to retake it. If you do better on SAT or ACT, study and retake your stronger test. My son was able to get into engineering overflow (freshman courses at Galveston satellite campus prior to transitioning to CStat) with a similar rank. Are you intending to apply to a popular major? Do you have credible support for your major, for example, volunteer or leadership activities? Would you be willing to spend a year or two in a PSA or PTA program or try for straight transfer after a year or so? You and all non-auto admit students will need to have strong lateral and safety backup schools now. The good news is that many other in-state and adjacent state schools are very strong schools anymore, so please be open-minded about alternatives as well as improving your current situation. Bless you for looking ahead. We cannot say for sure, but our advice to all students would be to put your best effort into getting admitted but also have plans B, C, etc.