Chances of getting into top 10 boarding school

Hi, I’m an 8th grade boy currently going into 9th grade. I’m applying to PA and PE, along with Choate, Deerfield, etc. I was just wondering about my chances of getting into these schools.

I have play tennis for 6 years and have been ranked as high as 16 in New England, I have received the John Hopkins CTY Grand Honors award, I am placed in my schools gifted and talented program, I represent multiple NGO’s from my parents home country of India, I have had straight A’s all throughout middle school, and have got 99 in reading on my ISEE 95 in math. I also run 3 e-commerce businesses, and have played the piano and violin for 7 years each.I also played AAU basketball for 5 years and have been on my schools team. Lastly, I also started a newspaper about diversity in my school, and have had my researched papers published by notable sites. My school is also top 50 in the nation. Just wondering my chances. Any response is helpful, thanks so much!!

1 Like

forgot that I also have won the Gold Pin at the Math Olympiad and have represented my region in the Purple Comet math competition. Sry! Thanks for any replies!

1 Like

You certainly meet the threshold of being a competitive applicant. Your chances are above-average if you project as a contributing tennis player at the high school varsity level.

1 Like

ok, thank you!!

With this strong backgrounds, what you are really worry about? You may have difficult time to pick a school among many offers though.

2 Likes

Very strong accomplishments!

The only reason you’d have trouble is if the school believes you would have trouble with independent living and getting along with peers. But really you’ll have a lot of choices. Enjoy!

Just curious, what makes a school believe he would “have trouble getting along with peers”? How to avoid it in the application, if you know? Thanks!

You cannot avoid what your recommendations/teacher letters say. I don’t believe the commenter was implying that the OP has these issues, just a caveat to anyone making a one sided list in a “chance me” post is that anyone can look wonderful on these types of post but we don’t know the full picture nor have a deciding factor. Chance me posts are simply an ego boosting game really.

4 Likes

Ego boosting game? I think most kids who post Chance Mes are genuinely anxious, and are just looking for a little support.

It’s nerve wracking for teens.

11 Likes

Yes. And you supported my statement 100% with your comment. Thank you for that. :two_hearts:

They are getting the support and putting their anxiety at ease when people tell them how wonderful they are. That boosts their egos, it makes them feel better. The OP has wonderful attributes as many have said. It is also pointed out that there are several pieces of an application missing and what is said in the comments on a chance me post is complete speculation because of missing/unknown parts. They are a fun game that hold no merit but to make a person who posts them feel better!

I am replying mostly for future kids who read this and think this is what it takes to get into these schools. It is not. In fact it’s borderline unbelievable that any kid could do all this. I’m not doubting you OP but there aren’t enough hours in a day for these all to happen at the depth that most other kids do some of these activities.

Top grades
AAU bb
Top 16 rank tennis
Multiple NGOs
3 e-commerce businesses
Piano
Violin
John Hopkins CTY

For OTHER kids - if you have one or two of these ECs you are good to go.

7 Likes

Most schools also require interviews.

People present themselves differently in person than online. Someone who may present themselves as super competent in a chance me thread may come across as a complete dud in person.

And each school probably has its own definition of “complete dud”, so just be your sunny, enthusiastic, and inquisitive self.

1 Like

Hopefully I haven’t come across as a dud, also in terms of my Ecs, I have uploaded awards and other accomplishments to back them all up. Thx and sorry for the late response

2 Likes

I also feels a though my essays and interviews were good. Thank you for your feedback!

1 Like

Ok thank you, I do believe that they will be good as well

Jeez, how did you get all these extracurriculars in?

Stop sleeping? :wink:

Of course, there are problems with that, cf “Beggars In Spain” by Nancy Kress.

lol that’s funny :joy:

Exactly

1 Like