Chances (plan on applying early fall)

<p>About to be a senior in high school. Going to apply for A&M in the fall, can anyone tell me my chances? if you were accepted into A&M what were your gpa, class rank, and sat score? thank you! </p>

<p>-Rank: 123/499 (barely top 25%)
-GPA: 3.79
-SAT: (1620) CR-520, Math-580, Writing-520</p>

<p>Activities, etc.:
-Live in Texas if that counts for anything
-First generation college student
-H.O.S.A. club
-Spanish Club
-National Honor Society
-72hrs+ volunteer work
-Golf</p>

<p>As a Texas resident, if you are top 10% then you qualify as an auto admit. However, you may also have a strong chance if you keep working on getting those SAT scores a lot higher as you may also qualify as an academic auto admit. Check out A&M’s website for further details and definitely make plans to attend some a&m functions, as that shows interest into school. And more importantly, apply as early as you can.</p>

<p>Depends on what you plan to major in. You have a good gpa but your rank is fairly low. Im a sophomore but I would try to get your rank up and express how much you like A&M by taking tours and campus visits and having them documented. They dont always look at just grades, you need to show some spirit for the school.</p>

<p>i plan to major in biology and minor in business.</p>

<p>there’s kind of a situation and i dunno what to do :S</p>

<p>im going to be a senior this fall, and the next SAT date is in October, and it takes 3 weeks for the scores to show, by that time the early admission deadline will have already passed. If i want a good chance to get in i have to do early admission(thats what the counselors said).
Think i might just have to send with these scores and pray i get in :/</p>

<p>Don’t give the hope! Your scores aren’t GREAT but they aren’t bad! Prayer is powerful, you are more then just a SAT score man, take care.</p>

<p>thanks and if i get rejected hopefully i get into the gateway program… really wanna be an aggie lol :D</p>

<p>Compared to two of my friends that applied last Fall, I’d (honestly) say that you’re going to get Blinn Team. Both had similar SAT scores as you, but were at least in the top 17% (one’s class rank was 83/600 and the other was I think 111/600 or so) and had a lot more extracurricular, and they still got Blinn Team. </p>

<p>It doesn’t look like the SAT is your thing, so try and take the ACT. It’s much easier in my opinion, and you can get academic admit by getting a 30 composite with at least a 27 in Math and English I think. That’s how I got admitted, or else I’d probably have gotten Blinn along with my two friends.</p>

<p>I dont really like the whole Blinn concept :S thats just me. If i dont get in i might just go to TAMUG and the transfer. and thanks for the feedback.</p>

<p>Are there a lot of biology majors at texas a&m?</p>

<p>i want to major in biology, would that make my chances of getting in better or worse?</p>

<p>Your chances for Texas A&M are not high, but not low. Don’t be surprised if you get Blinn Team. I am an incoming freshmen to Texas A&M majoring in Molecular/Cell Biology. I was admitted to A&M as a Review Admit - the hardest way. At the New Student Conference, a rep said A&M received about 35,000 applications for class of '16. they admitted about 17,000. acceptance rate fell to 49%. TAMU acceptance rate is now the same as UT. So getting into TAMU is getting more competitive. </p>

<p>To improve your chances, I would improve your class rank. not sure if there’s much to do at this point since you r finished with ur junior yr. Better way: improve your SAT. Try taking the ACT w/writing and SAT IIs. You might do better on the ACT. Is there an certain subject you r strong at? If you are good at Chemistry, take the SAT II: Chem Test. If you are good at Math, take the SAT II: Math level 1 or 2. there are many subject tests available. send those to A&M. even though A&M doesn’t require them, they will consider them. I sent my SAT IIs Chem and Math to all my schools. it helps my app since i got above 700 on both. </p>

<p>You look like one who is active in ECs. Build a nice resume! That helped me so much. Maybe have a teacher or ur extra curricular sponsor write a rec letter for you.</p>

<p>If u want to see my stats, click this link. i answered another person’s question with my stats months ago. look for toyotaTundraFan response #3: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1303794-review-admit.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1303794-review-admit.html&lt;/a&gt; </p>

<p>If you do that, you will have an increasing chance of admission. I am confidient that you will get in! I hope u become an Aggie! Good luck! :)</p>

<p>thank you! i really appreciate the help</p>

<p>and question… is the resume that you must complete part of the application or is that something you have to do on your own. (basically is like a question/answer type or like writing an essay)</p>

<p>I haven’t read through all of what everyone said but I am pretty sure that even if you have your application in and you retake the SAT you can submit your improved score and it will be added to your file.</p>

<p>im starting to think that i should take the act (earliest is in october) the thing is i want to apply early… because i hear a lot of people say since im not an auto-admit i need to apply early.</p>

<p>1.) should i apply early(Aug. or Sept.) and once get act scores submit it. but thing is…what if i get rejected before i could send them…</p>

<p>2.) should i apply in october so then when i send my scores they will get them before making the final decision.</p>

<p><em>STRESS</em> -_-"</p>

<p>I’d go with #1, unless you’re confident that your ACT score will qualify you as an academic admit. Have you looked at any practice tests?</p>

<p>I would suggest that you call admissions and find out if rejections even are rolling. Early on I didn’t hear of any kids getting rejected early I just heard of them getting accepted, but I also don’t think I heard about anyone getting accepted early who was not automatically admitted. You can call the admissions office and ask your questions without giving your name.</p>

<p>on the applyTexas app that you will be filling out to all ur schools, there will be an extracurricular/honors/service section. they give you a couple of blanks asking for activity, organization, type of level (local, region, school, area, state, national), and descriptions. i think this is not enough for me, so try ur best on that part. that is a required section of both your ApplyTexas and Common App. TAMU and all public Texas universities and very few TX private universities uses the ApplyTexas app. you have an option of sending an optional resume. It’s easy to build a resume. There are templetes out there that you could use. I used a resume templete from Monster.com and it looked nice like a job resume. so try looking there for a resume templete you like. or Microsoft Word or some college admission guide books. </p>

<p>in terms of your other question. b/c u r considered a review admit. u will not hear a decision back until January thru March. TAMU will not send you a rejection before u take ur Oct 2012 ACT. I took my ACT in Oct 2011 and heard back in Jan 2012. so u r good. TAMU gets all the top 10% and academic admits first before they look at the review admits. I encourage you to take your ACT this coming October. from what i remember, i think they have one in September. not sure, check on that.</p>

<p>izelkay,
-thanks, that’s what i was thinking as well, and no i havent looked at practice tests, but im going to buy a practice ACT booklet in august or sept.</p>

<p>spectrum2,
-i emailed them the same question no response, been like 4 days…I am gonna try calling, and thanks for the reply.</p>

<p>toyotaTundraFan,
-yea i just checked and it is in October. Do you think i should still apply in august AND take my ACT? because from what you stated that seems like a good idea. Thank you.</p>

<p>Yes, apply as early as possible! U may hear back until january, so be patient. And then send ur Oct 2012 ACT score to Texas A&M when you register for your ACT online. Sending your first three ACT scores is free.</p>

<p>you are a smart person haha because that is exactly what the TAMU college advisor emailed me today when i asked. Thank you once again :)</p>