Chances to apply to a UC? CC student

<p>Would i be able to apply to a UC?</p>

<p>Im currently a community college student, but I used to attend Cal Poly Pomona. I was academically disqualified 7 years ago and took a couple years off from school before I went back to school. For the past 3 1/2 years, I’ve been attending a community college for computer engineering/comp. sci. and.</p>

<p>My GPA with my Cal Poly Pomona’s horrible grades are 3.02 after this summer, but without Pomona’s is about 3.3-3.4. I have taken a majority of the classes i need to take except for 3 more classes, which i will be taking this fall. </p>

<p>Do I have a chance to apply to a UC? If so, which ones can I apply to?</p>

<p>If you were dismissed from Cal Poly Pomona, then you need to go back to the college to work out your eligibility for readmission because the UCs will ask about your dismissal on the UC application.</p>

<p>You can “repeat” courses you failed at Cal Poly Pomona with CCC courses (to replace the grade for GPA calculation), you just have to notate them in Additional Comments.</p>

<p>Some UCs have maximum unit caps that you cannot exceed. Others remove such caps once you enroll at a CCC. For the policy for each UC campus, see <a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/counselors/files/ETS10_TransferQA_final.pdf[/url]”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/counselors/files/ETS10_TransferQA_final.pdf&lt;/a&gt;, page 14.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info MsSun. I have talked to Cal Poly Pomona about my eligibility with them and their response was my only option is to retake 4 courses at their extended university to become eligible with them once again. However, I couldn’t afford this option since it would cost $222 a unit (each is 4 units) and comes out to be about $6k.</p>

<p>In your opinion, do you think my explanation of my dismissal would be considered when reviewing my application? I had some family issues (my father cheated on my mom and my mother would guilt trip me in trying to help “fix” their marriage, but nothing helped) during my attendance at the school, as well as my immaturity. Or my best option is to come up with the money and retake those courses NEXT summer (2013)?</p>

<p>I looked at the UC application again (the Fall 2012 one, so I’m not sure if the Fall 2013 application will be the same) and I think you are ok if you were dismissed from another college (but not a UC). Either way, you need to explain the dismissal in Additional Comments. As I mentioned, you can “repeat” the courses you failed at Cal Poly Pomona at your CCC and that should fix your GPA.</p>