chances to get in.please help!

<p>Hey I'm going to be a senior next year in Texas and I've been looking at UM for a while and it's marine science program. I just want to know what you need to get in and how hard it is to be accepted into not only UM but also the rosenstiel school(i know it's really competitive). I have done 4 APs and planning on doing 5 APs next year and I'm taking two math courses(AP stat and preAP precal) with a 3.6 GPA and top 8% out of 518. Im also going to retake the SAT(570-math and 620-CR on seperate tests) and im taking the SAT subject math test. Im going to get my SCUBA certification this summer too.
Your help would be greatly appreciated so I can do whatever I can to become a standout before applications are due.</p>

<p>I am not sure about the numbers you need, but I can tell you that there are only about 100 kids in the program each year and that their stats are the highest of any major at Miami. Good luck to you. My daughter is in RSMAS and absolutely loves it!</p>

<p>alright thank you:)</p>

<p>also, I’ve just begun looking at colleges(a little late since I thought that I was for sure going to UT-austin but now I’ve decided to go with marine science).
so I just wanted to know more about marine science if anyone can help; like how much of different sciences I should take in high school and what I should do this summer to get me ready for this major etc.
And I have also looked at FIU since it’s also in Miami(iv’e decided I want to be in Florida by the water). Do they have a good marine program?I know it’s not as good as UM but maybe it would be a better fit for me.</p>

<p>I’m a Texan looking at Miami too! I want to do the dual degree BS/JD law program though!</p>

<p>cool!:slight_smile: I just started looking at Miami but I’m already in love(which probably isn’t a good idea since it’s a long shot for the marine science program). where in Texas are you?</p>

<p>My S was accepted to the RSMAS but decided to go elsewhere for a few reasons. He really liked the program and it was a difficult decision to make. While it is hard to determine what will get you accepted my advice would be to show your passion for marine biology. It is a little late to go on a summer trip for marine bio but that helped my son determine that he wanted to major in it. I don’t know if that factored in his acceptance beyond his grades/scores. Also getting your scuba certification will be helpful. Look at the San Marcos Aquarena program called Diving for Science. After your scuba certification you would need to take another certification class but then you can do science experiments year round. Check out the site it is kinda cool. If you can fit that into your summer plans it will give you an experience to write about in your essay.</p>

<p>Taking AP Bio and Chem would be probably the best and you might receive some credit if your AP scores are good.</p>

<p>I’m in the Houston area! And Miami is hard not to fall in love with haha. You need to take your ACT! I did a lot better on ACT than SAT. If you would get a 31/32 you would have a lot better chance at getting in I think, bc your class rank is already great!</p>

<p>cool!im right outside dallas. but im also looking at university of houston for another program(i can’t really decide lol). ya i took the ACT but it looks better if you take your SAT(and my ACT sucked-27)</p>

<p>Oh cool! I don’t know too much about UH though haha. Well good luck with Miami(:</p>