Chances to get in to good BSMD program

Sophomore in high school- does volunteer at reception in a uninsured health clinic, peer educator at school thru planned parenthood, president and founder of school Red cross club, works in our town health care task force helping to make the town I live a healthy town. Does cultural music, treakwondo, teaches Indian mother tongue to kids after graduating from same program 4 years ago. I am not sure if I need to do anything else. Please help.

Fantastic academic grades in absolutely most rigorous coursework available. Very high standardized test score. If possible, get CNA or EMS type certification in high school and work in ambulance or nursing asst role. Volunteer in clinical role, if possible. Shadow physicians. If you can get involved in clinical research, that is icing on the cake.

1 Like

There is no such thing as a ‘not-good’ BS/MD program. They are all ferociously competitive to get into, and they all require a lot of hard work, self-discipline and self-motivation to succeed in them.

3 Likes

They are really only appropriate for highly driven, very high achieving, unusually mature students who have been obsessed with medicine for many years. The risk of burnout is high, plus they do miss out on some of the intellectual and social growth of college.

3 Likes

I did so far 50 hours clinical shadowing total 20 in primary care and 30 in urgent care. Planning to do 50 more total in emergency medicine and hospital. Also doing lab research on a clinical topic. Thank you for suggesting other possible things I could do :slight_smile:

In IB curriculum maintaining 4 GPA,
Planning to take advanced courses as junior next year.