Chances without Foreign Language?

<p>I'm planning to apply to Purdue, but I noticed the Engineering program "expects" 4 semesters of foreign language credit. I have 0. How much will this affect me in the admissions process?</p>

<p>It really depends on your stats. I was lacking in my foreign language as well, but three of the four universities I applied to stated in their acceptance letters that my stats were good enough that they made the decision to waive the supposed concrete FL req's in light of the general quality of my application. I'm by no means special -- countless other kids get the same thing. It's something many schools just kinda keep in writing -- it's there to give them the appearance of higher admission standards, but they can revoke it on a whim when they want to pull students in.</p>

<p>I should also note that the fourth (and biggest name university) I applied to rejected me, and they personally marker-highlighted the FL requirements I didn't meet in the rejection letter they sent me! ;P</p>

<p>BTW, Purdue was one of the schools that waived the FL req's for me. It's really just dependent on your stats and the prestige of the school you wish to enter. Most schools at the level of Purdue -- but not all, of course -- will be willing to overlook this without a problem.</p>

<p>Where are you from? If you live in Indiana, you're almost guaranteed to get in.</p>

<p>I'm in Missouri.</p>

<p>Do you not have FL because your school didn't offer it? Because you are fluent and didn't need to take a language? I'd say it won't matter for PU but it helps if you couldn't take it at your school.....makes you look better.</p>