Chances?

<p>Im a senior and am gonna be applying for Purdue. I took a chellenging course load in high school ending up with a 4.2 weighted gpa and about a 3.5 unweighted. I have a 31 on my act. My ECs are jazzband, bowling, swim guard(leadership post), first class leaders, And NHS. I was also nominated, however I did not win, our schools leadership award, the J. Kyle Braid award. Ive heard Purdues way of finding gpa is a little harsher. If it drops my gpa do i still have a decent chance at getting in? Im reallg worried.</p>

<p>You have a chance. Yes, they only really look at unweighted grades in the core classes-- Your ACT scores are well above average–my son got a nice merit award with the same ACT scores–however–he was a 4.0 student. It will depend upon your major. Engineering may be tough with a 3.5–but still possible. Good luck,</p>

<p>Thank about this, the reason Purdue adjusts everyone’s GPA’s is to put everyone on an equal playing field of sorts. While it’s an equal scale, admissions may still consider advanced coursework in their decision, the adjustments are made mainly for merit scholarships. So, it’s not going to hurt your admissions profile if they’re dropping everyone else’s GPA’s too.
I tell everyone this. WRITE GOOD PERSONAL STATEMENTS. You can have great scores and a great GPA and extracurriculars, but if you don’t have good essays, that can really hurt you. Understand the value of your written statements.
Another thing that can help your chances will be applying by the early application deadline. Doing so means you have access to all of the seats if you will for your desired program. If you get deferred, your application gets put back into the stack for the regular decision. Also, as slots get filled, there are fewer left for people who apply only by the regular deadline.</p>

<p>Thank you guys so much! I’m looking into a science major to begin pursuing veterinary medicine. And I have a campus visit scheduled for end of July so that’ll be extremely helpful. Any ideas when essay topics come out and where I could find them?</p>

<p>I knew the 2011 topic came out pretty early, so I did some googling and: [Purdue</a> University - Personal Statement](<a href=“http://www.admissions.purdue.edu/apply_now/personal_statement.html]Purdue”>http://www.admissions.purdue.edu/apply_now/personal_statement.html)</p>