Chances?

For my son…
Hoping for TEAM, but thinking it may be out of reach.
Top 19%, but low SAT (1190). AP courses, NHS, two sport Varsity athlete, STUCO, volunteer work. Great essay about learning lessons from his dad working off shore and not being there while he grew up; The additional writing was about
overcoming physical challenges. Glowing LOR from an A&M academic adviser who is also a life long friend. Has been accepted to TxSt, Tech, and UH, but I know he’d love to be an AGGIE! I asked him to work on a resume so we could upload that as well. Thinking of anything else that could boost his chances at this point. I know he won’t get a full admit, but anyone think he may have a shot at TEAM?

It’s great he has acceptances already. Does he have time to retake the SAT? If scores matter for the program he wants, I’d consider a retake. Good luck.

@laxmom2000 :

Getting his test scores up to the Academic Admit level would insure that he is an Aggie next year!! :slight_smile:

What about having him take the ACT at TAMU? They administer the test on campus and it is just scored for TAMU, not sent elsewhere. Sometimes the ACT suits someone more than the SAT. Have him take a practice test online, identify his weak areas and then study, study study. I have heard that Khan Academy online is good.

Neither of my daughters took test prep but if I had another child, they would be! And we didn’t know about the ACT at TAMU either, but would have had at least my younger one take the ACT test at TAMU as she was Top 53% with SAT 1250 and ACT 27. She had great LORs from HS teachers and took an official campus visit, had a meeting with an adviser in her major and sat in on a class. She was offered Blinn-TEAM and is very happy in Aggieland!

If you can schedule an official campus tour on a regular class day, you son will see what the campus is usually like, not just the game day experience. Scheduling a meeting with someone in his major and sitting in on a class is also a way to show that your son is serious about wanting to be an Aggie! Hopefully, you can do all of that plus have him take the ACT during the same visit.

Do as much as you can to maximize his chances. A LOR from a TAMU academic adviser is fantastic, but raising his test score shows that he is serious about being academically ready for the rigor of TAMU.

Good luck!

@laxmom2000 For stats, can you give me first/second choice majors and when applied? TXH

@Thelma2
His AIS has not been updated. Unfortunately, the chances are bleak. I saw someone with similar stats got TEAM, but many others that got TEAM have much higher test scores. Here is the information you requested:
Applied 9/17
1st Choice Mays
2nd Choice Sports Management