Chances?

<p>Hi, I'm a female junior and I've identified CC as my first choice so far (as I am practically knee-deep in the college process) and even made a visit there this summer, along with a few other schools. I've done my research, and although many tell me its way too early, I just felt right at CC. The vibe, the location, the block plan, the kids, etc. all excited my outdoor-loving, intellectually curious, environmentally conscious self. So unless anything dramatic happens in the next year, I think I'll apply ED 1. </p>

<p>PSAT/ SAT Scores hover around 2000. Are these too low for CC? Should I continue taking the SAT into the spring, or should I be content with ~2000? (600-650 Math, 670-690 writing, 700-740 CR) I also re</p>

<p>I am really involved.. and am the president of the Outdoor and Environmental clubs. I also run year- round. (I will probably be running my first marathon next fall in Chicago!)</p>

<p>I attend a very rigorous and prestigious private school, and am probably in the top 30-40% of my class.</p>

<p>While I visited last summer, my parents have agreed to take me again at the end of May or early June for an interview if it is still my top choice. Do you think TWO visits will help my application?</p>

<p>What else can I do to increase my chances?</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Hi Westbound,</p>

<p>First, I have to say I'm neither an expert nor a psychic, but I'll give you the feedback I can.</p>

<p>You sound similar to my son, who got in ED 1, but he was also helped by being male and foreign.</p>

<p>You don't say your GPA. I'm assuming it is at least B+. Your SAT scores are similar to my S. S took one of those Kaplan courses and his scores went up 100 points, so you might want to consider it. ED 1 is helpful.</p>

<p>It is just my impression (and I hope others will chime in), but I think CC really does look for students who will be a good fit, which you sound like. In your "Why CC" essay, be sure to say in detail exactly why you love the Block Plan and why CC is the perfect school for you. If it isn't a problem to swing it, another visit with an interview is always a good thing. Alternatively, can you get an interview with an admissions rep in your area? That's what my son did.</p>

<p>Do you need FA? If you do, you do. If you don't, that will probably help you at many schools in this belt-tightening era.</p>

<p>Finally, all the essays you will have to write give you a good opportunity to show what a great fit you are for the school. 'Think carefully about what aspects of yourself you want to highlight. Craft careful "show don't tell" essays that show 3 distinct things about you that are each unique and all hang together to show what an interesting and well rounded person you are. The block plan essay will show CC that you understand and will profit from this style of learning.</p>

<p>Good luck! You sound like the kind of person who really would love CC.</p>

<p>Here is the page of the common data sets for CC class of 2007-2008.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.coloradocollege.edu/dean/oir/documents/CDS2007_2008.xls%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.coloradocollege.edu/dean/oir/documents/CDS2007_2008.xls&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>There is a listing of the most important factors that includes how tough your HS was and the courses you took. Another important factor was the interview. Your SAT's look like you fall solidly in the 50+ percentile.</p>

<p>So, a student from a strong private school who takes the tough courses and does well on the interview should have a good chance so long as they have your scores. If anything it looks like you could attempt to get a few points higher on the SAT. It is very difficult to assess you without a GPA, but I think the GPA is factored in with the strength of the HS. </p>

<p>I know my S's private HS doesn't calculate rank in class. He was admitted EA in 2008.</p>

<p>Have other students from your HS attended CC recently? I think that if CC has a recent experience with the students from a private HS and those prior students have done well this helps the later students from that school. </p>

<p>My S attended a private HS where CC sends a rep to visit and intereview. She became a great supporter for his admission. If you can, make sure you have a good interview and keep in touch with the person in admissiions who does the interview.</p>