Chances

<p>I am just wondering, percentage wise, what do you think the chances are that I will be accepted next year? I am planning on going into economics and I live just outside of St. Paul.</p>

<p>GPA: 3.93 W 3.86 UW
RANK: 30/216 (Top 13%, my high school is very competitive)
ACT:32
-English: 35
-Math: 31
-Reading: 33
-Science: 30
-Writing: 10</p>

<p>Have a number of honors classes, but not the hardest possible schedule. Only will take one AP, American History which I will take the test on in a few weeks.</p>

<p>My EC's are Weak Though:</p>

<p>-High School Golf Team (10-12)
-MN Junior PGA (9,11,12)
-Work at UMN Gopher Hockey Game Concession Stands to help pay for high school tuition. (9-12)
-Caddy at Country Club (9-11)
-Work as a Baseball Umpire at nights (11,12)
-MN Gopher State Traveling Baseball (9, 10)
-Peer Tutoring (11,12)
-Church Service Trip to help restore homes in N Carolina (11)
-Other various awards like academic letter, student of the month, bronze service award, etc...</p>

<p>I might get another summer job on weekends at Domino's or something to help save up for college.</p>

<p>Anyways, do you think I have a good shot at getting in?</p>

<p>90% or so.</p>

<p>You're in.</p>

<p>Thanks, that's good to know.</p>

<p>The only reason you'd get rejected is because they'd think you were using them as a safety.</p>

<p>In.</p>

<p>I got in with MUCH MUCH less.</p>

<p>Public universities aren't as picky about ECs. Yours aren't bad anyway. In.</p>

<p>Good, and I really hope I don't get rejected for "using it as a safety" cause I really want to go here, and probably will, even if I could get in better places.</p>

<p>They don't care about the "safety" issue- they use objective criteria, meaning grades and test scores primarily. There was a recent thread with a link to UW data that showed this- essays, recs and EC's less important. One reason for lower yields is that many students do use the public schools as safeties; admissions knows this and admits more than they predict will come (recently they underestimated the school's popularity and therefore made changes this year to avoid overcrowding).</p>