Chancing in Holistic Review

Class Rank 35%, ACT 32. Any chance in A&M Engg?

ACT is great. What’s your math score on that? Also, what courses did you take to show engineering readiness (maths and sciences)? They look at this as well.

And extra curriculars to show interest in engineering?

ACT Math 30, ACT Science 31, English 34, Reading 33

HS courses:
Computer Science AP, Com Sci 1, Comp Sci 3
Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre Cal, AP Calculus AB (HS Senior)
Physics 1, Astronomy (HS Senior)

ExtraCur:
UIL Comp Sci, Java tutoring, Phone repair, websites, world travel, etc

Your science may be lacking but love the computer science courses… that’ll look good.

Funny that you scored better on Eng/Reading than math/science. but really solid scores!

I think you have a strong chance of Blinn Academy in worst case scenario, but a good chance at full admit to tamu campus. It will really depend on level of competition this year. The 35% ranking isn’t ideal and may be the thing that holds you back on full admit, but this is just my opinion and we won’t know the caliber of accepted students for engineering til October (mid to late).

Main thing, is get your completed application in ASAP!!!

1 Like

Does admissions review holistic engr apps on a rolling basis? My kid is also holistic.

I thought it was essential to get the app in by the EA deadline but early apps are critical for majors that fill up, like Mays.

I honestly don’t know how and when they review holistic review engineering students directly from them, but we saw many holistic students get notified of acceptance into TAMU before the Oct. deadline for engineering and then wait for eng. review for campus/pathway decision along with the auto admits. So in my mind, that means the sooner the completed app is in, the better. It’s like we wouldn’t tell anyone to wait til the dec. deadline even if their major isn’t competitive.

2 Likes

My younger son was holistic review last fall and got his application in September 8, 2020 and was admitted to both the university and engineering surprisingly on September 29, 2020. My older son was academic admit, got his application in mid August and was admitted to the university 9/2/2016 and then engineering in October.

1 Like

Good to know. Did S21 have a particularly high SAT/ACT? I feel like those with a certain cutoff (1450-1500), top 25% in a rigorous HS and solid ECs get in without much review. My nephew had a 1310 and got his decision in February and applied in August/September.

@tristatecoog S21 had a 1420 sat, went to a very competitive private hs, had a lot of ECs such as several varsity sports, 4 yr all state choir, violin, musicals, archery, several clubs. He did go to the jr olympics in archery and track, maybe that was it but I have no idea. I think having BC Calc and Physics E&M helps.

2 Likes