Change of major from Ag Business to Civil Engineering

I am wondering the same thing about changing majors. I applied as an ag business major but want to switch to civil engineering. How can I tell if I would have been accepted as a civil engineering major? Can someone post a link to the criteria?
Cal poly was my first choice dream school but I am accepted at UC Davis and am considering that if it I won’t be able to switch because it seems easier to switch at Davis.

You could contact admissions and find out if you would have been eligible for Civil Engineering at the time of admission. Does your SLO GPA fall within the College of Engineering stats: 4.12 - 4.25

If you are granted an ICMA, it will not exceed two quarters and will require:

• Minimum 2.500 GPA in three specified courses, all passed with a C- or better
  • Minimum 2.500 Cal Poly GPA at the end of the ICMA
  • Minimum 2.000 Term GPA at the end of all ICMA quarters

The completion of coursework in the intended major without prior consultation with a Change of Major Advisor does not guarantee your eligibility to change into the intended major.

Policy Standards

I. Minimum Time at Cal Poly
Students must complete at least one quarter at Cal Poly before requesting a change of major. The major exploration process can begin in their first quarter, but no official change of major may be initiated at that time. To begin the exploration process, students should access the Change of Major portlet on the Academics tab of their Cal Poly Portal (see Requesting a Change of Major, below).

II. Basic Criteria
In determining standards for major changes, a department representative may consider the following criteria when considering students’ requests:

#a. Eligibility for the proposed major at the time of admission.

b. Academic record (e.g. GPA, coursework, etc.).

c. Ability to complete degree requirements in the new major in a timely manner.

If students meet the basic criteria for the proposed major, an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) may be initiated by a department representative of the proposed major.

III. One Request Per Major
Students who enter into a change of major agreement and do not complete the agreement’s requirements, either by failing to complete the terms or by opting out due to a change of plan or interest, will not be eligible to request that same major again later in their career at Cal Poly.

IV. Academic Standing
A change of major agreement can be initiated while students are on Academic Probation (AP), if the department offering the intended major believes that the AP status is due to students being in a less suitable major and that the new major represents a viable path toward good academic standing. A change of major agreement will be void if the students are academically disqualified prior to the completion of the agreement.

V. Requesting a Change of Major

To begin the formal change of major process, students must log into the Change of Major portlet located on the Academics tab at my.calpoly.edu. More information is available at advising.calpoly.edu.

VI. Individualized Change of Major Agreement

a. The change of major may be approved immediately, completed within one quarter, or completed within a maximum of two quarters.

b. The ICMA includes the following conditions:

i. Students cannot be required to take courses before the ICMA begins.

ii. Students cannot be required to take courses that are outside of the ICMA.

iii. Students cannot be required to enroll in more than three specified courses or 12 units in the new major curriculum during the ICMA process.

iv. Students should balance their schedule with General Education (GE) or other courses that may apply to both majors.

v. Students’ GPA requirements may include minimum GPA in courses specified in the ICMA, Term GPA, Cal Poly SLO GPA, or Higher Ed GPA.

vi. Students’ GPA expectation(s) established by the department representative must be attainable.

1 Like

I would call admissions at both schools and ask them.

I do know of someone changing majors after being accepted and before deciding whether to attend. However it was for a major that is generally less restricted compared to engineering, and was at a different university.